My Winter project

velocette

Chambered in .222 Remington. 6 months of work, sanding dust, worn out fingers and much help from some excellent friends without whom this would never be. This rifle started out as the first rifle my dad ever bought. Somewhere around 1955. It had been neglected and abused by other family members until I rescued it.
Remington 722 action, lapped bolt lugs, Mcgowan RemAge barrel & nut, Kimber hand stop, Morgan adjustable butt plate, Brownells oversized bolt handle, Richards Microfit unfinished laminated stock, (drop in - NOT) Ceracote Titanium metal paint, Ceracote clear wood finish (15 coats) Barrel is free floated, action is pillar & epoxy bedded.
Sightron SIII 6 ~ 20 X 50 riflescope. Trigger is original 1955 (no lawyers) reworked to 1 1/2 lb.

MosinNOUGAT

Dang, you made that stock? That's amazing. If you went into a business, I'm sure people would easily pay good money for that!

velocette

MosinNougat;
I'm sure I could make a lot of money fitting and finishing stocks like that.
After I pay for the unfinished stock, ($250.00) Pay for the Ceracote paint, ($100.00), add the adjustable buttstock, ($60.00) then add about 40 hours of labor even at $20.00 per hour ($800.00)
Add in some profit of course ($1.50) for a cost price of $1211.50.
Add in some cost for the tools, shop supplies, electric, & payoff for wifes silence (thats expensive man!) Then add in the machine shop costs that my friends supplied for free.
No way to make a living.
All this to make small holes in a target.

Roger

velocette

Beauty is as beauty does, or beauty is in the little holes in the target.
I took the new rifle to My local range for its break in and some ladder loads.
It shot pretty darn well with generic break in loads with Nosler bullets (that did not
do anywhere near as well in my other .223 rifles.) with groups averaging around 3/4".
Then with ladder loads & Sierra match king bullets, groups ranged from 3/4" down to
one of 3/16" and several around .25". This is about as good as I can hold, even with a front bag
and minimal rear support.
Still several different propellants to try with the Sierra bullets and two Berger offerings
waiting to be tried.
Thus far, all the effort from my friends to help me with this project is paying off with some
very nice groups.