My wife gets her first deer!

Ridgerunner665

Its not a monster, but will be good eating.

Shot with her 270...130 Nosler Ballistic Tip pushed by 54 grains of H4350.

The deer was 345 yards away and quartering away slightly...I told her the drop and wind drift, she did the rest...dropped him with one shot.

I'd say she's off to a great start!

ResizedImage_1385931877499_zpsc6ff19b3.jpg

Deja vu

very nice. I love to see couples hunting together. That deer looks like it will be very good eating. Many peoples first deer is a doe. So she is already a step above many people!

Ridgerunner665

I guess I should add (so nobody gets the wrong impression)...she's been shooting all her life (country girl)...and in the 12 years we've been married she has been pretty active at it...she had never hunted though, until last year.

She's hooked now though!

taylorce1

I wouldn't think you'd need much holdover for drop and drift at 345 with a .270, but hey it worked.

Tell her great job! I'll never get my wife to hunt, but my daughters a deer hunter for sure.

Ridgerunner665

I wouldn't think you'd need much holdover for drop and drift at 345 with a .270...

Sighted in for 200 yards...the drop at 345 is 12"...a full value 4-5 mph crosswind produces 5" of drift at 345 yards...

Thats way more than enough to matter...

270's shoot pretty flat...but they ain't that flat.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Cool, I was just asking as 345 yards wouldn't have more drop than I'm zeroed for with my .270. Plus the wind you described wouldn't push me out of the kill zone on a deer. I zero for MPBR on pretty much all of my hunting rifles anymore, and my .270 has a little over 340 yards PBR on a 8" tall target.

I'm not wanting or trying to detract though from the "Great Job" your wife did, so I apologize if I have.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner665

You didn't...

I was just explaining why the drop was there...also, forgot to mention...the 270 is a factory 22" barrel, as a result the muzzle velocity is only 2,850 fps in this rifle...typical Remington, accurate but slow.

I never really cared for the "8 inch kill zone" idea...my train of thought is to hit exactly where you're aiming...you know, the "aim small, miss small" theory.

Everything has a bullseye on it...

Last edited:

shortwave

Ridgerunner665,

You are very fortunate to be blessed with a mate to share your hunting experiences with.

Congrats to you for that ...and Congrats to your wife on her first kill.