My Weirdest Upper Yet.

rickyrick

I’ve had a 6.8 spc upper with a 16” barrel from Green Mountain Barrels a few years ago. No matter what I did, the upper would short-stroke and not pick up another cartridge about 90% of the time.
I finally decided that the gas port was probably too small. I had measured it once, but don’t remember what it was.

From my previous post, I decided to use the hand guard from the 6.8 upper on my 300bo brush gun.

I got to thinking… a dangerous game lol… since I already had the 6.8 upper disassembled I might as well give 6.8spc another try. After all, I already had money spent on ammunition, BCGs (I had a new spare 6.8 BCG also), magazine, etc.

A shout out to stangpanther because he wrote good things about ARP 6.8 barrels a few years back.

So just to be goofy, I ordered a 10.5 ARP barrel from blackstone.

I was impressed that he called me to ask my intended use for the barrel so he could drill the gas port accordingly.
I received the barrel in one business day and was even already dimpled for the gas block.
I installed a new gas block, gas tube, new BCG and pinned and welded a 6” flash hider. Everything I already had on hand except for the barrel.

I noticed that the gas block and barrel extension had a good snug fit.

Took it out and ran a few boxes of factory ammunition through it today and had zero feeding issues, so I’m very happy.

22364d01ae17d57f2a946d6a593af613.jpg

fb8d12747b1adccd0e8203431c6c0a90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyrick

Even though this is an odd frankengun, it has the most satisfying shoulder thump of any of my rifles. I think I’m gonna get this upper it’s very own lower.

smee78

I like the looks of this setup and am glad you got a barrel that shoots for you.

I always say I'm gonna just build a new upper, then always grab a stripped lower from PSA for like $30 and end up building a complete rifle.....It always ends the same way lol.