My USP 40 dislikes WWB 180 grain

18DAI

I was rushing to complete errands after work on Friday. My last stop was at Wally World to buy 300 rounds for the IDPA match. Well, as usual, after Big Jim McBob finally wandered over to ask what I wanted, he only had 200 rounds in stock. This was the WWB 165 grain value pack, which in my USPF 40 shoots to the same POA/POI as my duty ammo. But ole Jim did have two 50 round boxes of 180 grain WWB 40. Being rushed, and not wanting to go across town, or run out of ammo on Saturday, I took it.

Well, my HK USP was running flawlessly through the first four stages. 3800 rounds through it at that point with no malfunctions. At stage five, I open up and load a box of the 180 grain. This stage was all close range, so I thought I'd see where the rounds printed. Load and make ready, buzzer, BANG, FTF JAM! Tap, go to rack, slide goes into battery on it's own. BANG, BANG, FTF JAM. The gun has never let me down, is not very dirty, and the mag springs are fresh.

After I'm done with my malfunction drill practice, and the stage, I examine the remaining rounds in the mag. I notice that everyone of them has a slight ridge, around the circumference of the bullet. The bullets are flat nosed, like the WWB 165 grain 40, but while my eyes can barely discern the ridge, my finger tip can feel it, and my USP apparently did too. I switched back to WWB 165 grain 40, for the rest of the match, and my USP ran flawlessly.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their USP's and 180 grain WWB 40? I thought I'd just pass this along, as I thought it was unusual. Oh, the second box of 180 grain rounds exhibited the same ridge around the edge of the bullets as well. Regards 18DAI.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
QC on WWB is spotty at best. I've seen lots of issues with brass having odd rim thicknesses and the like.

Of the budget ammo from the "Big Three", I vastly prefer American Eagle or Remington-UMC.

pdkflyguy

I've never used that ammo, so I can't speak to it's quality, but I do know that my USP prefers 165 grain ammo for some reason.

Axion

I've never used the 180 grain but I've put over a thousand rounds of WWB 165 through my sig with out so much as a hiccup.

stephen426

When I had my H&K USP, I never had any jams or failures to fire (other than a dud round maybe). I've shot quite a bit of different stuff through it including UMC, WWB, American Eagle, and Speer Lawmen. The Speer Lawmen is some hot stuff.

I have heard that WWb has spotty quality controls, especially with their value pack ammo. Maybe you might want to try a different brand in the 180 grain load to see if it makes a difference.

18DAI

I agree, it was the ammo. My duty round is Ranger T, 165 grain. My USPF 40 eats it with no problems. The USP ran trouble free again, after I returned to the 165 grain WWB.

I switched to my USPF 45 for Sundays match, and did quite a bit better. While my USPF 40 is a great duty pistol, and I find the 40 an adequate street round, I think I'll be shooting my next match with the USP 45. IMHO the 45 round is easier to shoot in the game format. YMMV. Thanks for the responses. Regards 18DAI.

RsqVet

Had a sig with the same problem, has kept me away from the WWB stuff, make the trip to Sportsmen's for American Eagle or Remington.

Hotdog1911

How about WWB QC in 9 mil?

Wow! I didn't know WWB QC was that bad; 40 cal or anything eles WWB. I'll take you word for it. I aint gonna buy anymore. But I do have a couple thousand in 9mm on hand. What is the word on 9mm QC?

18DAI

Hotdog1911 - Perhaps I left the wrong impression. Only the 180 grain 40 WWB, gave me a problem. I still use the WWB 165 40, as well as alot of the WWB 9mm, and will continue to do so. While the QC isn't the best, it's cheap enough to support my high volume of practice/recreational shooting. Regards 18DAI.

cheygriz

MY Glock 22 doesn't like 180 grain bullets either. IMHO, 165 is the heaviest bullet you can shoot from the .40 and expect even marginally acceptable velocity. The 155s are, in my experience, the near ideal compromise between bullet weight and velocity.