My Uncle Mike's Boot Grips are 'stuck'!

VictorLouis

Shame on me.:( I've noted that the end of the grip screw and the bushing into which it threads have been rusted for quite some time. Well, tonight I though I'd do the right thing and clean it all up. Trouble is, the screw just turns and turns, turning the bushing with it. I have dremeled away all of the existing exterior rust, but I think the two have fused together. Any suggestions?

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
VL, off hand the only thing I can think of is to soak it in Kroil for a couple of hours. Then remove the screw and bushing from the opposite side. Insert a drift punch just small enough to go through the bushing hole and apply pressure on the bushing from the inside. Then try to turn the screw. George

Liquid wrench or another penetrating oil, leave it sit for several hours, and then wrap tightly in a couple of plastic bags and stick it in the deep freeze for for at least 12 hours.

Remove from freezer, let warm to room temp to prevent condensation, and then try using George's drift punch method.

I've found freezing in combination with penetrating oil to be very effect in breaking screws loose.