My treestand collapsed on me yesterday.

1BadF350

Gentlemen, I'd like to stress the importance of wearing a safety harness at ALL TIMES when hunting from a stand. This includes during ascent and descent. I always loosen the harness, move it up a bit, and tighten it back down as I climb up and down the tree.
I was using a 2 piece climber and shimmying my way up a tree that had very knobby bark and the blades on the stand could not get a good even bite. This was a big mistake that could have cost me more than my pride and I consider it a learning experience.
About 10 feet up, both the bottom and top peice lost grip with the tree and I fell approximately 3-4 feet before my harness caught me. I was hanging there for a brief moment with the top piece in my hands and the lower piece, thankfully, was still attached to my feet. I was able to manuever the bottom piece into position and stand up. I promtly went back down and chose a different type of tree.
Needless to say I was very shaken up by the experience, thankfully I did not need to change my underwear.
It was one of those occurences that you think happens to other people but not you. There is always a chance that it will. Thankfully, I had my safety harness.
Some of us can be very stubborn and I know some people do not wear harnesses while in stands. Please do so at all times. If you forget your harness, hunt on the ground. Do not assume that because you've hunted for years and never needed it, it will be OK just one time. It's not OK. There is always a chance.

BE SAFE and shoot straight.

FirstFreedom

Thanks for the warning. I had a similar experience 2 years ago with a climbing stand. At that time I posted the lessons learned:

1. USE A HARNESS - always - once you get 5-6 feet up, make sure it is securely attached to the tree.

2. Use a little piece of rope to TIE THE UPPER TO THE LOWER on the climbing stand, so you can (a) pull yourself up onto the seat on the top part, and then (b) pull up the bottom and secure to stand on it to descend.

BIGR

I took a ride about 10 years ago down a slick barked tree that also had frost on it. I had one of the Loggy Bayou stands that has the band, that goes around the tree. Other words it used a metal band on the back of the tree. The stand didn't have the knives that bite into the tree. The thing about that I didn't have my safety harness attached at that moment. After about five feet or so I kind of hugged the tree and got stopped. I learned a lesson or two that day. Never climb a slick barked tree with frost on it and always wear the safety harness when climbing and going down a tree.

M1911

I agree on always using a harness. Also, make sure it is GOOD harness. A simple strap around your chest is NOT good enough -- you can easily fall out of it.

I use a lineman's style harness that goes around the body, over the shoulders, and under the crotch.

swampdog

Use a little piece of rope to TIE THE UPPER TO THE LOWER on the climbing stand

That's a lesson you'll only have to learn once. :D It happened to me a few years ago with a summit climber. Luckily, when the bottom slipped off my feet, it only fell around 5' and I was able to shimmy down and retrieve it. I'd had it rigged properly, but had used the little line to tie something else and hadn't put it back.

I've been using a Trophy Line Tree Saddle this year. I like it and haven't pulled my climber out all year. You'd almost have to try to fall out of this.

banditt007

def make sure the harness is a full body one. there are some styles that are very easy to slip out of,but not only that, will ride up under your arms and basically make it very difficult to breath if not impossible. very scary. be safe!~

FirstFreedom

Forgot

P.S. Glad you're alright.

Swampdog... doh! Hey I have to admit that I don't understand what that Tree Saddle does or how it does it.

1BadF350

I had one of the Loggy Bayou stands that has the band, that goes around the tree. Other words it used a metal band on the back of the tree. The stand didn't have the knives that bite into the tree. The thing about that I didn't have my safety harness attached at that moment. After about five feet or so I kind of hugged the tree and got stopped.

LOL, BIGR, the exact same thing happened to my dad years ago in his Loggy Bayou. The story is the same, right down to hugging the tree!:D That metal band and rubber "feet" scare the heck outta me just looking at it. Couldn't pay me enough to climb a tree with a LB.

swampdog

what that Tree Saddle does or how it does it.

It's like a bosun's chair, or a swing for you in-landers.:D You sit in it and it can swing around the tree, allowing you to easily shoot in any direction. You go up the tree with screw-in steps. I'll usually put one in each side of the tree at the level that I stand/sit. The swing rigs to the tree above your head and you sit in it. It's amazingly comfortable and total weight, with steps, is around 6lbs. I can be up a tree in 5 minutes, without making as much noise as a climber. The whole rig stows in a large fanny pack, so it's much easier to tote, too.

http://www.trophylineusa.com/saddle.htm

FirstFreedom

Swampdog, that thing really is interesting. But is it REALLY comfortable for a long time, to have to hold yourself out from the tree with your legs? Or do you just hang there with legs dangling?

BIGR

LOL, BIGR, the exact same thing happened to my dad years ago in his Loggy Bayou. The story is the same, right down to hugging the tree! That metal band and rubber "feet" scare the heck outta me just looking at it. Couldn't pay me enough to climb a tree with a LB.

I still have that Loggy tree stand but haven't used it in about 8 or 9 years. It is a lite weight stand but I am almost afraid to use it these days. If I use a climbing stand I use one of the Ol Man Stands. I suppose that alot of the tree huggers would like hunters to use those loggy stands with the bands, because they don't bite into the tree. :D I have not used a climbing stand in about 5 years. Most of our stands are ladder or tripod stands. I have been spoiled by those stands.

piercfh

So what kind of stand were you slipping in?

I have climbed alot of slick trees, but never slipped more than 6 inches or so. The main thing I try and remimber about climbing is not to get in a hurry, or get tired and stupid. Aside from breakage I wouldnt doubt thats why 99% of folks wind up on the ground.

so after your brush with death did you see any deer?

swampdog

Swampdog, that thing really is interesting. But is it REALLY comfortable for a long time, to have to hold yourself out from the tree with your legs? Or do you just hang there with legs dangling?

FF,
You can go from a knee locked, standing position to a seated position, quietly. The seated position is so comfortable, it's possible to doze off. Switching between the 2 positions keeps your legs and back from getting stiff. Angling from one side of the tree to the other also relieves any stress.

My earlier post was at 10:12 AM. I was in my tree saddle by 1 o'clock. I shot and killed a doe at 5:10 p.m. I will admit, after 3 hours, I was ready to come down, but I was still pretty comfortable. The longest I've spent in it at one time is 5 hours.

One of the things I like best about it. In recent seasons, I've hung 1/2 a dozen strap-on stands, all on public land. Even though I remove the bottom steps to the set when I come down, I usually lose at least a $50 stand a season. With the saddle, the only thing I leave in the tree is the top steps. I haven't lost any, yet, this year.

Up a tree, quietly, in 5 minutes. No awkward climber to tote through the brush. 360 degree shooting arc. At around 6lbs, with my normal 14 lag steps, what's not to like? All my strap-ons are still in the shed. A friend of mine has been using my Summit climber, which I really like, btw, all season. I'm happy. If your interested, you should get one. I don't have any vested interest in the company, I just think it's a good product. It's certainly made my season easier.

If you want, email me your address and I'll mail you a copy of the dvd that came with it.

Grilled tenderloin, YUM!

1BadF350

So what kind of stand were you slipping in?

I have climbed alot of slick trees, but never slipped more than 6 inches or so. The main thing I try and remimber about climbing is not to get in a hurry, or get tired and stupid. Aside from breakage I wouldnt doubt thats why 99% of folks wind up on the ground.

so after your brush with death did you see any deer?

I don't know what kind of tree it was but it had very knobby bark. No I didn't see any deer at all, but then again neither did anyone else in our party.

FirstFreedom

swampdog, thanks for the info - that sounds great. I am very interested in those. Hmmm, falling asleep would be a-ok by me. Beats having to climb down from a stand and sleep on the ground as I sometimes, errrm, often do. Much easier to pack in and out. And most importantly, you don't need a cottonwood or pine (straight, branchless-at-the-bottom) tree to make it work - will work in oak/hickory woods!

SavageSniper

And THATS why all my treestands have a ladder attached with TWO racheting straps. An old man told me once that it is just a matter of time before the oops happens. Has had me scared of them since. Just a personal fear though.

123kiwi

Not sure how thisll go down but when using a treestand do you still call it hunting or just shooting? Cheers

1BadF350

Not sure how thisll go down but when using a treestand do you still call it hunting or just shooting? Cheers

123kiwi, after reading some of your 5 posts, I can see you're not interested in making friends here at TFL. Seems like you're only interested in making fun of others and throwing a snide remark here and there.

Not sure how thisll go down but......
If you have to preface a post like this, it's probably best left alone.

Mannlicher

about 10 years back, I wasusing a climber stand, and was about 40+ feet up in a pine tree. It was dark, and raining. The climber let go, and down I went. I call it my 'slide for life'. Scared the crap out of me.
If I had been wearing a secured tether, I would have been left hanging 40 feet up. I am not that big a fan of safety belts and such.