My top 8 CCW handguns (video)

Mystro

I finally put my top 8 CCW Handguns on a video. These were my favorite 8 out of my 27 handgun collection. They range in size from micro to full size.
No script, nothing fancy just how I picked these 8 and why I though they were a standout for what they do. Sit back, have a beer and lets talk about guns........

YouTube

Last edited:

DaleA

Nicely done.

30 minutes long and it looks like you did it in one continuous take.

Just the nature of things, of course I don't think everybody will agree with all your choices (I'm sure you don't think so either) but I don't think anybody could claim you didn't make a good case for each of your choices.

Mystro

Thank you. Yea, no script, no fancy graphics, just a informal 30 min talk about what made these guns stand out from my 27 handgun collection for my application and lifestyle. I suspect everyone will have their own standouts within their collection and how they carry. I would love to see more videos like these to see what works for them and their application and lifestyle. I find it interesting.

Last edited:

steveNChunter

Nice video. I have one question. All that talk of .40 s&w and your Shield is 9mm. Since you're a fan of the .40 why did you not choose to go with it for the Shield?

I ask only because I was recently in a 9/.40 dilemma and decided to get the .40 Shield. I'm glad I did. It's very shootable in .40 considering its size and weight.

Mystro

Thats a fair question. I simply like the smaller guns in 9mm for the extra rounds and controllability. I shoot heavy for caliber rounds in them and they have plenty of power with a few extra rounds over their 40s&w counter parts in single stack thin guns.
The Shield is a gray area gun because its between a pocket gun and service size gun. I could have gone either way but went with the 9mm. Another reason that influenced my choice is that I do use it in my CCW class and the 9mm is a better caliber for new shooters.
I have a G27 and don't carry it much because it is thick but is great for my ATV gun. I could easily replace it for a Shield in 40 for a thinner carry and ATV use.
I like my 40's in the mid size guns where I have room for more rounds and longer barrel to increase velocity to burn all the powder. That really gets those hot 40's up to spec.
I have a G29 and I could never get any of my 10mm loads up to speed. They always duplicated a hot 40 regardless what powder or bullet combo. The 40 is the same with short barrels. I would much rather have the extra 1 or 2 rounds in a 9mm in a small single stack gun. In the Shield there is no bad choice.
If I had a Shield 40, I would probably carry 135 grain or 155 grain in it to keep the velocity up.

Last edited:

steveNChunter

I've been carrying 165 grain Hornady Critical defense in my Shield .40 because that was the lightest SD round I could find at the time. I agree that a lighter bullet is better for SD with a short barreled .40. I have watched several ballistic gel tests with short barrel .40's and the 180 gr hollow points shoot right through and don't expand very much. The 165 gr and lighter had a much larger wound channel and usually were fully expanded or very close. They didn't penetrate nearly as much either. The 180 gr on the other hand performed almost like fmj.

I honestly could have went either way as well when I purchased my Shield. The extra round of 9 vs the slight performance edge of the .40. Neither is a bad decision IMO

Kevin_d77

Great video. I would like to see a side by side of the USP-C next to either the PPQ or the 229 to get a size reference on it. I have a full size USP and wondered how small the compact really is.

So those are your favorite guns for carry etc. What's your overall favorite gun to shoot?