My Tax Return goes to S&W?

joh56usa

So I think I am in the market for the Stainless S&W 642 .38 Airweight Snubby!
I have heard many good things about them and I've always wanted a wheel gun as my back up piece (I work as security, internal hammer make it smaller = better).

Do you think that's a good back up piece? At $429, I thought it's a pretty darn good deal. And how do you like your sexy little S&W? :D

FlyFish

I recently bought one for me and one for my wife. Great guns. I specifically ordered (and received) mine without the internal lock - AFAIK, they are still available that way (one of very few S&W models currently without locks).

ETA: The S&W product number for the no-lock version is 103810 - product number 163810 has the lock. The $429 is a pretty good price - I paid just a couple bucks less, but I was buying two and do a lot of business with my FFL, so I was able to negotiate down a bit.

Wiskey_33

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the cylinder and the barrel the only parts of the new 642's that are stainless?

My 638 had a "paint" on it from the factory to resemble a bead blasted finish that flaked pretty easy after a lot of pocket carry.

FlyFish

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the cylinder and the barrel the only parts of the new 642's that are stainless?

Yes, that's correct. The frame is alloy with a clear coat finish. I haven't had any problems with the finish yet, but I've only been carrying the gun for a couple months.

orchidhunter

In 2006, the best selling firearm offered by S&W was the 642. Don't know if it is still at the top in sales, but it is still at the top of my list of BUG guns. orchidhunter

doc540

I've owned one, shot it and sold it.

Excellent gun, but I'll give you the best advice anyone ever gave me (and which I didn't follow):

SHOOT BEFORE YOU BUY

I wasn't able to shoot it confidently with +P ammo, so I sold it and acquired a Model 36.

And I tried three different grip configurations before I decided to sell it.

YMMV

Kreyzhorse

Excellent choice. I carry a 637 (the spur hammered sister of the 642) and they are great carry guns. I've never had much luck with pocket carry (always looks like a revolver in my pocket) but carrying OWB is a snap.

They are light weight and as mentioned, they do recoil, but I certainly don't find it too much recoil even with +P.

Que

That's the going rate around here. A fine gun. I prefer the Bodyguard, but other than that the 642 is it.