My Strange Sig: Hammer Dropping Itself?

TunnelRat

Hi all,
Today I bought a used Sig P2022 that appeared to be in excellent shape and was manufactured in 2008. It came with a 357 sig barrel and a 40 s&w barrel. After about 50 rounds of 40 that went very well I started shooting the 357. Towards the end of the box I noticed that when hitting the slide release to chamber a round after inserting a mag that the hammer was automatically dropping. I made sure I wasn't hitting the decocker but it kept happening. It would also drop the hammer now when chambering rounds in the middle of a magazine sporadically. It was basically putting itself in double action. Then sometimes the next round would be SA, sometimes DA. I put the 40 barrel back in and it still continued. I even had the range owner try it as he is a Sig retailer and he had the same issue. The gun still fired but I am obviously concerned. I was shooting Federal Champion 40 and Winchester White Box 357

Obviously I need someone to look at it, but any ideas on what it might be?
Thanks,
TR

FrankenMauser

It's worn out or incredibly dirty, and the hammer is following the slide.

Give it the most ridiculous deep cleaning you have ever given a firearm.

If that doesn't fix it...
Gunsmith time.

Will Beararms

Send it back to Sig. Some of the SP2022's are guilty of this. I believe it only happened with the .40's and .357's. They are fully aware of this issue or you can take your chances with a gunsmith on the street. I would send it to Gray Guns if I did not send it to Sig.

WVsig

Send it to Sig. It is a problem with the sear and hammer engagement IIRC. They will replace the parts under warranty. Make them issue a call tag do not pay shipping to them. They should cover it both ways.

TunnelRat

I did clean it pretty thoroughly when I got back. It actually wasn't that dirty but the prev owner had used a lot of grease which I cleaned off. Still having the same issue.

It is a shame cause I really like it so far. I normally don't like 40 but it shoots just like a 9 in this frame.

The store I bought it from does a 30 day warranty on all used guns and they have their own Smith that I have used in the past and he is really good. However I am debating just sending it to sig since it is a 10 min drive from my house ;).

TunnelRat

Thanks guys! I didn't have a problem with grease but he had an excessive amount and the grease was filthy.

Can someone recommend a good grease?