My Spikes build update with Nikon P223 3x32 sub MOA

Freakingstang

built a cheap AR this winter with some decent quality parts. When I put it together and ran it through its paces I had a cheap red dot on it that was so-so. Well I ran into a brand new,but damaged blister pack P223 3x32 at a local gun shop for 100 bucks and used a walmart gift card to pick up the P223 mounts. I got it somewhat dialed in today. I was a little weary of a fixed 3x scope. After some rounds through it... I love its size and clear glass. Perfect for 50 to 100-200 max yard shooting.

build thread here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539810

I got the scope mounted a month or so ago and hadn't shot it. I put a cheap laser bore sighter on it and it was close enough that I didn't mess with it.

First shots out of the box so to speak. one shot left, adj windage made another shot and it was right. Readjusted windage then worked on elevation. Within 6 shots "out of the box" it was almost spot on.

717237AE-8917-4FD4-906C-C9C28C028173_zpsjwlmrbfk.jpg

I used some federal 223 to start sighting it in. I was very hesitant on the fixed 3x scope. I'm used to a 2x7 or 3x9 adjustable for 100 yards or more. I'm pretty happy with this scope so far. I think 4 power would be perfect, but I love the compact size and the glass quality is unreal. Very easy both eyes open on target. The adjustable turrents are so-so for a fixed (low) power scope. they are nice, but I don't think they are required on a fixed power scope.. this has the BDC so, once its zero'd at 100 or 200 you shouldn't have to mess with it. I know I wont be shooting 600 yards with only a 3X scope...Nikon recommends sighting it in a 200, but I wont hardly ever shoot that so I decided for the 100 yard zero.

Anyways a good day for some shooting...sunny and high 40's.. nice day for a change of the sub zero winter we've had. the turret adjustments are 1/2" instead of the normal 1/4" so I was both directions real quick.... Distance was 95 yards and all shots were made standing, while leaning over on one of my firewood cages with a lid. Winchester cheapo bipod. No sit down bench rest with a lead sled here.

9F554623-ED95-42A7-9505-2D4309E875BF_zps4xs6ac9h.jpg

After rough sighting... I used some factory Remington UMC 55gr, then Federal AR223, then a couple hand loads. It started getting dark before I got to try any of my 60gr, 63, and 65gr loads. When I had the cheap red dot on it, it seemed most accurate with 63-65grain loads. But for 55's, I think its not too shabby for a budget built box of parts.

125B8953-E72A-40E1-8CBC-88B3A5078C9B_zpsitp7ociu.jpg

D9194232-388B-4D5F-9715-39C88E5D4CF3_zpsqblqdynz.jpg

B55C491D-7C22-422A-88A4-D2E31B494913_zpsifkygvqc.jpg

I realize a lot of guys will go on and on about only 3 or 4 shot groups, but I was running out of daylight. I'm thoroughly impressed so far....

EE46D220-F35A-4C64-AB59-55CB106CFA1B_zpsy0oaqc9r.jpg

Overall, I'm tickled pink. I did polish the stock PSA trigger parts. nothing was done with the springs. It is very stiff still. On my wheeler gauge it measures 7.5lbs, but now it is crisp and no creep like it was out of the box. I gave it the same treatment I gave my ruger, but the ruger's trigger is much nicer at 4.5-5lbs. out of the box the ruger was about the same as the psa. I get on these rants every now and then when I see guys buy or build a brand new rifle and not even shoot it and want to buy a trigger to make them better. Learn with a stiff, crappy trigger, you'll be a better shot. Nothing wrong with a light hair trigger, but learning to shoot consistently with what you have is better than trying to buy a trigger and still being a horrible shot

smarquez

I have the same scope. I bought it to compensate for my lousy eyesight. I really like it a lot. I just need to practice.
I see you are using IMR4895, another one of my favorites. I seems like it will work well in anything.
I am using a PSA upper on a built by me Mega lower. It has a Core15 LPK that is really sweet. I haven't put a trigger scale on it but it is very smooth and crisp. It's better than the trigger on my wifes M&P-15 and WAY better than the Stag trigger in my JD Machines lower.
Nice write up, thanks.