My sons first time at the range, any suggestions

Stan200

My son just turned 12 and is now old enough for my local range (I haven't joined a club yet). I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

I'm going to start him on a .22 and then a .380 (one round in the magazine at a time until he's comfortable). Any other suggestions?

HKFan9

If you don't already have one, once he gets comfortable with handling and shooting you should look for a cheap used Ruger Single Six for him. For some reason when I was younger I always hated shooting someones else's gun, made me nervous I would mess it up, weird I know. They are everywhere and fairly cheap, obviously it would be under your control at all times when not at the range, but I remember getting my first gun, I felt so much better while at the range.

antsi

Is this going to be his first time shooting?

I always focus on two things with new shooters:

1) Safety rules and safe gun handling. For the obvious reasons, obviously. Plus, new shooters are generally a bit apprehensive. If you give them 4 easy steps to ensure safety, and they understand that safety is under their control, they'll be a lot less fearful or nervous.

2) Make sure it is FUN and that he experiences some SUCCESS. Move the target closer, so he can get some hits in the black. I have seen more "experts" ruin the experience of a first time shooter by over-instructing and being too perfectionistic. If he has fun and feels like he did well, he'll want to come back - save the fine-tuning and the more difficult challenges for the 2nd, 3rd, and 50th range trips.

Also, are you starting him off with handguns, or has he already shot long guns? Seems to me that long guns are easier to handle safely, easier to build good habits (avoid bad habits), and easier for a new shooter to hit the target. I think a .22 bolt action rifle is ideal for a new shooter.

Lastly - I am so jealous! My son's only three, so I have a wait yet before I get to try out these theories on my own kid! Let me us know how it goes and what you learn about Sons and Guns.

Sport45

I agree with antsi. Start kids off with .22lr rifle. At 12 my kids really enjoyed blasting clay pidgeons on the 50yd berm. Reactive targets like clay pidgeons and cans hold their interest a lot better than paper punching. With a scoped rifle they will soon enjoy plinking shotgun hulls at 50 yds.

If he's already got long gun experience, a .22lr pistol would be the next step. Ruger 22/45, Buckmark, or Smith 22. The rimfire is most cost effective for the amount of shooting he'll want to do and great for building experience and confidence.

Gazdik

Take it easy on him...What I mean is don't try to cram to many rules and stuff into his head at once..You want it to be a good time so he'll go back for more, Then you can slowly work in all the do's and dont's...My dad took me out and I shot my grandfathers 12gauge...A time I will never forget..BTW that shotgun is sitting in my gun cabinet now and will never be sold or traded. Even though its just a JC Higgins...Its the most valued gun in my collection. Also a heck of a good turkey gun with the poly chokes!...Anyway I hope you have a great time...I look forward to this with my boy someday.

Rifleman 173

I would also use a firearm with at least a 4 inch barrel. Longer barrels are a bit more accurate for a new shooter than a snub-nose revolver and not as heavy as a 6 or 8 inch barrel revolver.

sserdlihc

I started my daughter off shooting my P22. She is 8 years old. We just went out and had fun!! No pressure on her to be the best.

Stan200

Thanks guys. I'm going to get him a rifle for the summer, it's too cold around here to shoot outside right now.

He's been shooting air rifles since he was 5, and I've been teaching him on air pistols since last summer. He is very safe and knows all of the rules of safe handling. I would have started him several years ago, but I only became interested in guns about 2 years ago. We may not get to the range until tomorrow but I'll let you know how goes. We're both looking forward to it.

sltintexas

Make it short too. That is one thing I learned when teaching my kids fishing. Leave while they are still having fun. They may be a little upset but that way they'll be excited to come back.

longcall911

I really like the suggestions above...

- Saftey first
- Make sure he has some success
- Make it short

I would add, make sure he knows this is what "big boys" do and that you are teaching him this stuff because he has earned your respect. All boys need Dad's approval/respect.

/*tom*/

Smallgame2100

For some reason when I was younger I always hated shooting someones else's gun, made me nervous I would mess it up, weird I know
I'm the same way. I hate using someone else's gun.

Teach him, in detail, safety of handguns and range rules. Guns pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger until ready to fire etc.

fisherman66

Double protect those ears and keep him comfortable in general. A buddy of mine took his son on his first deer hunt this year. The kid's sneakers got wet and he sat in temps hovering around freezing. The kid doesn't want anything to do with hunting now.

make it fun...eggs, full soda pop cans, ect.

brief can be good.

Last edited:

tshadow6

kids and guns

I made sure not to lecture my boys. I explained the rules, then let them shoot. Don't worry about accuracy. Just maintain a safe, controlled environment and let your son enjoy it. When he's ready to stop for the day, let him.

rjrivero

tshadow6 said:
I made sure not to lecture my boys. I explained the rules, then let them shoot. Don't worry about accuracy. Just maintain a safe, controlled environment and let your son enjoy it. When he's ready to stop for the day, let him.
I agree completely!

I just took my 9 year old daughter to the range, with the chipmunk .22 LR that I started with. I did bring a couple guns with me, but I spent the whole day watching her shoot. It was an outdoor range and in the snow, with temps in the teens, she sat out there for 3 hours, plinking to her hearts content. She did soot my k-22, but she much preferred shooting the .22 rifle. She followed all the gun safety rules to the letter, and even opened her action with the rifle pointed down range when she took a break.

Does a dad proud to share the sport safely with youngsters. Enjoy the day, and bring a camera.

Bring some crackers, or cookies if it's an outdoor range, and let the kids shoot those. It's much more fun for them than shooting bullseye targets all day. The crumbs left behind feed the critters come night, and there is nothing to pick up.

glockorama

One thing I always suggest for teaching first timers is, if possible, don't go to an indoor range. An outdoor range or, even better, a nice spot in the woods or country, is much more comforting. The crowded/cramped outlay of the indoor range and percussive nature of it (IE the guy shooting a 44 mag right next to you) can be very daughnting for a first timer. I took a girlfriend to the range once and she hated it. After some arm-twisting, we up to a beautiful place in the mountains (shooting allowed) and she had a great time.

Stan200

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to log onto The Firing Line since Friday, so I didn't get to see those great links and the good advice, after reading them it's really to bad, I could have used that.

Anyway, we went today and he/we had a blast. I had planned on only staying for a half hour but that was over in a flash and was just not long enough. One hour proved to be about perfect and left him planning next time.

I was very proud of him, I dare say I thought he handled himself and the pistol better than some adults I've been with (I got lazered last week by a friend of mine, but that's a different story). We did focus on fun, not accuraccy, but he did very well anyway.

One last bit of advice that I can share. It didn't occur to me until he was actually about to shoot for the first time, but he is small for his age and the target is about 6' off the ground, 25' out. I bent down to see his sight line and a shot at the target would go right into the ceiling! It wasn't obvious by looking at him so I'm glad I caught it. There was an old stool in the corner which got him up high enough and worked out nicely.

I should mention that he did try one shot through my .380 PPK. He seemed pretty excited that he did it but he wasn't real eager to do it again so we stayed with the .22LR. However, with that one shot he hit the 7 circle on a 50' slow fire pistol target (at 25'). It's on his wall right now.

That was the best time I have ever had at the range and one of those all too rare moments.

Cheers:D

novalty

This may be a stupid suggestion, but I would recommend a small table or something to set in front of or beside your son while he shoots. That way if the gun FTF, FTE, or jams, he can set it down safely, and you can show him how to properly take care of the problem. Can help avoid confusion of what to do if something happens, and avoid firearm being mistakenly pointed in wrong direction.

Was shooting a friends MKII as my first semi-auto experience, and it was jamming frequently due to a shotty aftermarket clip. I always felt uncomfortable trying to hand the firearm to him when it jammed, or FTE properly.

At least your kind enough not to start him off like my dad did. When he had me try his S&W 686 in 357 magnum. At 8 years old it nearly knocked me over--but it did save on ammo, as one shot was all I needed :)

Paul