My Single Shot

LAH

Don't laugh, it's paid for. I searched for over a year finding a wooden stocked Handi Rifle. I love the 30-30 for cast bullets & so far so good. I love the front sight but the rear could be better, I'll work on this. The little rifle has a very nice recoil pad & the trigger isn't too bad. The load today was the RCBS 30-180-FN, 22 grains IMR 3031, & a CCI primer. Had a fun time shooting birds.

Yellow birds that is

Guv

That was my first deer rifle, 30+ yrs ago with a 4X Weaver post. Share your fondness for the wood stock.

taylorce1

I had one of those and sold it when I bought my M788 in .30-30. They're expensive but look at Skinner Sights if you want something better for your rear sight.

A man and his rifle. Outstanding. It's the Indian, not the arrow. :)

The ONLY thing I don't like about break action single shots is the weak extraction.

Used to be a T/C Encore / NEF Handi / Rossi guy until a couple of "incidents" where the brass was left in the chamber. Of course, that can happen with other types, too, but it seems not as often.

SaxonPig

Laugh at a compact, single-shot rifle in 30-30? Not I...

standard.jpg

LAH... you have a solid gun there... you could stretch your legs a little more with some different bullet profiles in 30 caliber ( the flat nose is not "needed" in the non tube magazine 30-30 )

SAXON... love the rolling block...

aside from my Contender pistol in 30-30 my other single shot is a Kyber pass copy of a Enfield Martini carbine, that we rebuilt, re-barreled, & re-proofed in 30-30...

I'm loving this gun now...

don't have any current pictures, but this is what it looked like, before it got a new 30 caliber stainless barrel... was originally chambered in 303, & we thought the pressure to high for a fake Enfield, so it was chambered for 30-30 & re-proofed...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Ibmikey

I love my AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout, just took a 350# Texas hog with one shot...125 gr TNT. I put a 3x Nikon 223 scope on it and ithe scope's compact length, 300 Blackout cartridge and the 16" barrel produced a perfect 100 yard rifle.

BumbleBug

LAH - You mentioned that you are into cast bullets. A friend of mine hunts deer with his .30-30 using paper patched cast bullets. PP bullets are cast dead-soft & the paper insulates them in the bore allowing top velocity. The soft lead performs an impressive expansion in game. BTW: he uses ghost-ring sights & the PP bullets are extremely accurate in his rifle!

FWIW...

...bug :)

SaxonPig

I should mention that I have a real single shot Jones. I bought this "Lil' Scout" Model 14&1/2 for $11.50 at a police auction almost 30 years ago. Spent 25 years finding the breech block I needed (original had a hole drilled through it rendering the gun inoperable) and then I put on the sights, refinished the wood, and polished and reblued the metal myself. Total invest came out to about $23 and a lot of hours of labor.

standard.jpg

I also think the Ruger #1 is the most handsome production rifle ever produced.

standard.jpg

deerslayer303

WAIT A MINUTE!! H&R makes a handi rifle chambered in .30 .30. I did not know this. I'm on it like stink on poop. I love the .30 .30 round. :D

LAH

Check with Bud's Guns Shop. I asked about a wooden stocked 30-30 before I found this one & they sent me a product number.