My Secret 12 Ga. Squirrel Loads.

Twoface1911

If you have a reloader instead of putting standard lead shot into your shells try filling up your shot tube with Copperhead BB's. They are great and Ive never shot anything better than with these they can do just about anything. But i have a question could the copper do anything to harm a barrel?

Sevens

Those BBs are barely copper, if at all.
They are steel BBs. As such, you need to be careful with what you are doing. They'll tear up an old shotgun. And steel shot isn't loaded to the same specs as regular lead shot.

They won't deform at all under almost any circumstances.

snuffy

Stop It!

WARNING! The above post and this entire thread are very dangerous!

You don't just substitute a payload just because it will fit! Any more than to ignore the amount of powder or bullet weight in a brass cartridge.

Steel airgun B-B's are extremely hard. The copper wash on them is very thin, just there to delay rusting. Steel shot, that is made for non-toxis shotshell loads, is much softer than airgun B-B's.

Then there's the wads. Steel shotshell loads have heavy, thick wads. This is to prevent the hard steel shot,(it's much harder than lead), from scraping the barrel, cutting groves in the barrel.

Ignore my warning, you will either wreck your barrel, more likely blow your gun and yourself to kingdom come! Any bystanders could get hurt as well!

ThomasT

I used to load BBs in a mossberg 20 guage until I noticed the dings in the forcing cone area in front of the chamber. It only took a couple of rounds to do this.

I bet you have already damaged your gun. Besides when did regular shot shells stop killing squirrels?

If you like bigger shot get some #4s or Turkey loads.