My Scope rings look Goofy

Jamie Young

I just put See threw Rings on My Marlin 22 Mag rifle and it doesn't look right. It looks kinda corny if ya ask me. I've taken the gun to two gunshops and everyone keeps telling me they don't have Scope rings high enough for it except the see threws.

Its the first gun I ever owned and I decided to go out and buy a better set of optics for it Tasco 2.5-10x42. The problem is the adjustable Paralex makes it a little bigger. Can somebody help me figure out or find out how to tell EXACTLY what size I need for this?

HankL

Its the first gun I ever owned
SodaPop, Your question aside if you don't mind?
Congratulations!!!!! :D :D :D Welcome to the world of owning simple to not so simple tools that can always or not always be improved or not improved on. :confused:
Shoot that sucker with the see throughs and let us know how it did!:D
Best Regards,
Hank

Jamie Young

I did shoot it this weekend. But everyone including me thinks it looks a little too high. It's kind of like seeing a 5ft woman on stilts:eek:

Poodleshooter

That's a big scope for a .22 Mag. Most manufacturers assume you will use a 40mm at most on a .22. I assume you are using the dovetail mount, correct? Try going to the local shop, examining their non-see through rings, and measuring the height from the bottom of the ring (where they meet the dovetail base) to the bottom of the ring section. Pick the one with the highest measurement and see if it fits. I had a scope clearance problem with a Ruger bolt action awhile back. Luckily I found a guy who needed low rings...
See throughs suck. I tore a pair off of my Win94 in frustration once.

Marcus

Hey Soda I did a little checking in the trusty Brownells catalog and found something that might help you out. It`s a weaver type base that fits onto grooved reciever .22s. It`s a 1/4" tall which gives you a little extra height plus once you go to weaver type rings you can get just about anything you want. The part # is #955-200-010 and best of all it`s $6.17,at least in my catalog which is a few years old. Marcus

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, SodaPop,

If the scope hits the rear sight, you can remove that sight, which might help. But the facts of life say that you can't put a scope with a big bell on a rifle without having to raise it enough to clear the barrel. That means high rings. With that scope, there probably are no other rings high enough, so you will have to use see-throughs.

The solution is simple. Use another scope more suited to the gun. It is neither a target rifle nor a long distance hunting rifle, and a big scope is not needed; further, the big scope adds weight and bulk to a nice handy plinker rifle.

Jim

Jamie Young

Yeah but this has cool target knobs and Mil Dots. The only Gun I wouldn't be picky about putting a different scope on is My Model 70. But I don't know if 30/06 and Tasco go hand in hand. I have a leupold on it right now, but I do so much dialing in without targets knobs, that I probable should put one on that has them.

Jamie Young

Anyone want to say a bad thing about Millet rings? I tried on a Millet Medium 22 Rings and they just barely touched the barrel. I'm going to do a web search for the the Highs but I don't know if they make them.

RAY WOODROW 3RD

SodaPop,
listen to Marcus. Tasco sells a converter block that goes from 3/8 dove tail to weaver that works great and just might get you the hight your looking for. If you didn't notice, I had them on my .22 model 60 dragonov with the red dot and on the AR-7. Did they feel too high when you shot them? They feel good to me. When I get home I can give you the Tasco model# for them if you want.:)

HankL

K80Geoff, I see the error of my ways. From reading the original post, I figured that this was one of a few of soda's collection.
:)

Jamie Young

Too Late I already Ordered mounts from Brownells. I just hope they fit right. They better:mad:

LOL yeah after 2000 posts I just all of a sudden picked up My first gun. A 22Magnum;)