As I promised in my other thread, here are the pics. This is as I purchased it:

mod66original01.jpg

mod66original02.jpg

And after working my magic:

mod66polish01.jpg

mod66polish02.jpg

Not bad for $300 and a couple hours of elbow grease. :D

smee78

Great looking grips on that 66, who are they? I have a 66 snubby on layway at a local pawn shop and cant wait to get it out.

stevieboy

I think you'll be delighted when you do shoot it. Mine is amazingly accurate and is as well-balanced as any gun I own. I generally fire .38 specials 158gr.+P with it although, obviously, it's rated for magnum rounds.

BigJimP

You did a nice job on the gun ......

I think I would just leave the scratch alone at the end of the barrel / but its hard to tell in your photos how deep it might be. I wouldn't get to aggressive trying to get it out though.

223 shooter

Not bad for $300 and a couple hours of elbow grease. :D

I'll say , that is quite a dramatic improvement! Thanks for posting the before and after. Nice grips!

I have a 66-1 four inch that came with S&W wood target stocks but they are residing on my 686 at the moment. I might have to get a set of Medallion grips too!

Tom2

Yes but it absolutely screams for black sights! My dash three has the blued rear and the red front, which is an improvement over bare steel. My 64 has the bare steel sights and I hate that. What in the world are they thinking to put bare steel shiny sights on a gun? OK might have some advantage against a pitch black background but for just normal shooting, you gotta get the paint or soot lamp out.

ISP2605

Leave the sights alone. It's a 66-nothing. If you want to darken them then use a sharpie or some paint but don't change them out.

stevieboy

Yeah, the stainless sights -- as bizarre as they may be -- are what set this gun off from all of the models and changes that follow. I have 'em on my 66 no-dash and, most of the time they're not a problem. I can offer no explanation for why Smith put them on their early models except that they were among the first stainless guns that Smith made and, perhaps, Smith wanted to emphasize that fact by making everything on the gun stainless. I'm just glad they didn't put stainless grips on it:D

David the Gnome

Yeah, I'm not doing anything to the sights on this one. The front sight had been painted red at some point in time so I cleaned it up and repainted it. That pretty much takes care of any issues with the sights.