My review of the Ruger LCRx with 3" barrel

Trebor

My latest post at my Michigan Firearms Examine page is a review of the Ruger LCx with a 3" barrel.

A review of the Ruger LCRx with 3" barrel

"The latest version of the Ruger Lightweight Revolver, the Ruger LCRx with a 3” barrel, transforms the design from a snub-nose carry gun into a handy general purpose revolver.

The innovative LCR design has been a hit with shooters since the original Ruger LCR .38 Special +P was released in 2009. That design was optimized for concealed carry with a five-round cylinder, 1.875” barrel and hammerless, double-action only, trigger. Since that time Ruger has expanded the line by chambering the gun in new calibers and adding new features. The LCRx model added single-action capability by introducing an exposed hammer to the available options but retained the short barrel length. In November 2014 Ruger released the LCRx with a 3” barrel. This newest variant is again chambered in .38 Special +P with an exposed hammer that allows both double-action and single-action activation. "

2afreedom

I think the .327 is a good idea as well. Now add a slightly larger frame, make it a 6 shot .357 magnum and you got an ideal carry gun for revolver fans.

Slimjim9

"Ideal" doesn't exist. "Ideally" you always want more rounds, less weight, less recoil, perfect accuracy, perfect reliability, etc., etc. The five shot LCR357 is already a darn good carry gun and what I have in my pocket when I carry. Making it larger even to gain an extra round would make it less ideal to me. Does that mean the 6-shot LCR327 is more ideal than the 5-shot LCR357? That is very good question and one I would have thought long and hard about if they had both been available earlier this year when I got the 357. As it is, I don't see enough to make me want to switch.

Slimjim9

Oops, I just realized we are straying rather off topic from OP's review of the 3" LCRx .38.

Trebor, I agree with your assessment that the 3" is less ideal as a carry gun, though I'm sure it would work great in that role with a proper IWB or OWB holster. 3" is my favorite barrel length overall as it just seems to balance better for me. My 3" GPs are probably my favorite guns right now and would also fill the role of "general purpose" revolver though I can't put one in my pocket. ;)

2afreedom

Ideal for me, I guess. Basically a 6 shot .357 LCRx would surely be the lightest 6 shot revolver made. Lighter than the K-Frame with enough barrel to reliably expand most ammo and squeeze a little more speed out of the .357 round than the 2 inch versions. It might be the only thing that would make me retire my 3 inch model 65.

.327 is a fine round and all, but for those of us with tons of brass, bullets, and dies for .357 it's hard to want to switch up calibers.

Obambulate

Yeah make it roughly K-frame size and include fixed AND target sights, with an easy way to change back and forth. Barrel lengths should be 2", 3", 4" and 6".

Calibers should start with a 10-shot .22lr and might include an 8-shot .327, 7-shot .38/.357, maybe a 9-shot .22 Mag. Definitely a 5 or 6 shot .44 Special. Weight should be in the 24-30 oz range, with alloy or steel frames, depending on caliber. Of course the trigger group and grip frame would be polymer.

The LSR Light Service Revolver.

2afreedom

I like the LSR idea. I actually think in time Ruger will produce the K-Frame polymer six shooter. If they are priced similarly to the LCR there will be no way to keep them on the shelves.

Cosmodragoon

Yeah make it roughly K-frame size and include fixed AND target sights, with an easy way to change back and forth. Barrel lengths should be 2", 3", 4" and 6".

Calibers should start with a 10-shot .22lr and might include an 8-shot .327, 7-shot .38/.357, maybe a 9-shot .22 Mag. Definitely a 5 or 6 shot .44 Special. Weight should be in the 24-30 oz range, with alloy or steel frames, depending on caliber. Of course the trigger group and grip frame would be polymer.

The LSR Light Service Revolver.

This is a great idea but let's not get too excited. Has there ever been a 7-shot K-frame? I know it's been done on the L-frame. They recently released a 5-shot .44 magnum on the L-frame. I'm guessing your LSR would be a standard six-shooter in .38, .357, and 9mm; with seven in .327 and maybe five of .44 special. I'm sure I'd buy at least one of them. :)

skizzums

the LCR is so annoying to me. love the gun, but will not buy one. I had to walk out of the store with Taurus getting my money because the stupid LCR didn't give me the option of a hammer a couple years ago. then the 9x19 LCR, a freaking dream come true for me, and they announce that the now have the "x" series......but no, not in 9mm, why would anyone want that? don't people understand that the hammer is only a desirable feature to .38's?

BRAND NEW, Ruger LCR .327MAG, just like everyone has been BEGGING us for!!!! but no, we decided it didn't require the luxury of a hammer, again like we said....hammers are for 38's, duh

cool guns, quite possibly the best dedicated CARRY platform revolver ever made, but I prefer to have a hammer for days I am just kicking back and seeing how far i can pop open a can of soda. so I got the polymer Taurus with the rough bore and it has treated me well. in three years when the 9mm or the 327 get the "x" treatment, i'll take another looksee

I have seen guns from the past that allowed for switching of hammer style to conform to the wants of varying consumers, how hard is a bobbed hammer with a screw in post for those single-action lazy days...