My Range

kraigwy

Well not really mine, but its close. 1.5 miles from the house. A large abandoned gravel pit on BLM land. Seldom do I find anyone else shooting here.

Normally I shoot in my back yard where I can get to 400, I only have targets set up to 300 yards. For longer range, I load up my shooting gear in my ATV trailer and head to the gravel pit.

I was out practicing for the un-coming CMP Garand and Vintage Sniper Match in Cody come Sept. and decided to share some pictures.

This first picture is my blind I set up so I can shoot in the shade (it gets hot and I'm wimpy). Also all my brass stays inside the blind.....handy when there is snow on the ground. The blind is a "full draw" model, meaning I can stand in the shade for offhand practice.

IMG_0054.JPG

Below, the gravel pile is 100 yards from my position. Beyond that, in the cut in the ridge is 600 yards (distance I'll be shooting the VSM).

IMG_0055.JPG

This picture is to the rear of my position. You can see the highway, a line across the picture just beyond those trees. You can easily get 1200 yards if you stay closer to the highway.

IMG_0057.JPG

This one was taking looking NW. Another part of the pit also on BLM, you can easily get 2000+ to the first pit, the second one will get you a mile or more.

IMG_0056.JPG

Its handy being close to home, no limits, not crowded. I take portable steel targets and can get them set up just about anywhere by hauling them on the ATV. Easily access.

Also, you can get some good dry fire practice at antelope who seem to like to watch you shoot.

PawPaw

Yeah, I like that too, and I'm always on the lookout for a good spot where I can stretch out my rifles. Amazingly here in Louisiana with all our huge beanfields, it's hard to find a spot where you can actually get permission to shoot at ranges over 300 yards. Virtually impossible. But I keep looking.

tahunua001

all of the gravel pits out here are no shooting because rat bastards were shooting up loaders and leaving brass and shot up cans, TVs, Tires, ETC... the last time I shot in a gravel pit I got to deal with a county deputy who was actually pretty sympathetic since he saw we were picking up our brass and "targets" but still had to make us leave. I only have an 80 yard range out my back yard which is fine for pistols but not great for rifles unless I just want to do a 25 yard navy style shoot. I have to pay if I want to go beyond that and even then the longest range I have is 550 yards(500 meters).

EDIT: I see you're getting your 1903A4 and M1 ready for elk season :D

HopeandChange

I'm so jealous....don't have anything like that in Texas.

Not the first time I've heard that from a Texas shooter. We take some Texans out to our 1000 yard spot and they're going crazy. ;)

Not the best backstops for midrange 600-800 yard targets.. but we'll take it.

700yard.jpg

Dave P

Very nice! And I bet you never have to worry about too much wind, either!

I can do 100 yards easily at my place - up to 200 if I really wanted to:

Hillbilly66

ne7ehe4y.jpg

My son, on his 700 SPS in .308, ringing a 8x16 rail tie plate at 200 yards... There's another at 400 farther on down the trail. This is a gas pipeline right-of-way, out in the boonies.