My pistol is .02 oz lighter than yours!!!

dean1818

Wow.....

There are quite a few arguements on the board about the size/weight of different pistols on this board for CCW purposes.

"Mine is SMALLER than YOURS....." Seems to be a rallying cry.

Statements that revolve around felt differences of slight fractions of an inch in thickness and a few ounces of weight seeem to be a bit ludicrous to me.

Something .2 ounces heavier, for myself, I cant really tell the difference for something hanging off my belt. Can you REALLY tell, once its in a good holster, 2/10 of an inch? Maybe you can...... I can't.

After putting some money in a good IWB two point holster, like a Crossbreed,
I am fully convinced that people should include MORE and BIGGER pistols into their choices for CCW.

Some folks choose a smaller, and what I believe to be a under-powered caliber like a 380 or a 32, just to get a tiny gun.

You should include enjoyment of shooting and type of pistol into your choices, vs ONLY the smallest size weight issues.

If you LIKE your gun and become proficient with it, why not CCW for it, vs making your choice a "smallest only" concern.

I am not saying that you should consider a full size desert eagle cannon for CCW. All I am saying is some of the good midsized pistols on the market may make an excellent choice for CCW.

BTW, I jog with a P226, very comfortably in a flexible, bellyband holster.

I CCW a Bersa 40 UC in the Crossbreed, but now that I know what I know, I would have considered more pistols in my choices, like a FNX, P229, P239, or a plethera of other pistols.

CCW a "fun" gun, not a "mouse" gun

Last edited:

zombieslayer

I don't know- I'd rather carry an aluminum-framed 3 or 4" 1911 all day than an all-steel 5". I own quite a few handguns and never end up carrying doublestacks regardless of weight because of the bulkiness. I'm skinny and tall-ish. Light single-stacks and snubs for me.

AKsRul.e

Over the years I have carried J and K frame revolvers as well
as small and midsized autos concealed.

I have figured out that anything weighing over 24 ounces (1.5lb ) empty is NOT suitable for pocket ,inside waist , or
shoulderholster.

And anything under about 18 ounces in .38,9mm or larger
IS gonna SMART when you fire it.

So I stay somewhere inbetween :)

Daryl

CCW a "fun" gun, not a "mouse" gun

I would say, "CCW enough gun."

The movement towards smaller, lighter, and less effective handguns and cartridges came with the adoption of legal concealed carry that started back in the early-mid 1990's. Before that, folks mostly carried larger handguns than are commonly CCW'd.

I usually OC'd a S&W 686, Ruger GP-100, or Ruger Blackhawk.

I still often carry a somewhat larger handgun a lot of the time, but I can't conceal it very well in summertime clothing. A vest, for me, is the best choice that I've found for such things, although any of several jackets will do the same job in wintertime.

For discrete carry, I keep a couple of smallish snub revolvers that are very easy to conceal, and they're adequate for my purposes when I can't wear a larger handgun. They are, in fact, easier to conceal in warm weather, and they're adequate for SD in most places.

I've been carrying most of my adult life, and more than a little as a teen-ager. Based on my experiences, I can honestly say that a half-ounce, or even a few ounces doesn't make any difference to me. That said, a pound or so definitely makes a difference for me with all-day, every day carry.

As an example, I can carry a J-frame or a G23 hanging on my belt without noticing it much, if at all. Turn that into a full-sized 1911 and I'll start to feel it, just a little, after a few weeks of it being there. Turn that into a full sized, 52 or so ounce (fully loaded) SA revolver, worn through rough terrain for a week or so, and it becomes burdonsome after a while.

There ARE benefits in carrying a smaller, lighter gun. The numbe one benefit is actually having it with you when you need it. Ease of carry will allow the person to take it with them when they might otherwise leave it at home, or in the vehicle.

Daryl

Sarge

I guess there are advantages to getting old. For a good portion of my pistol-totin' career, a 'carry gun' was a steel GM, Commander or a 4" Model 29- and I'm talkin' 'pre Mountain Gun' Model 29. Hell I pocket-carried a 2 1/4" SP-101, with a speedloader.

My IWB/off-duty gun these days is a SW40VE 'Allied Forces' or occasionally, a G23. I couldn't tell you what either of them weigh, loaded or unloaded, but I can tell you they offer substantial firepower and they don't bother me in the least.

jmortimer

To each his own but I would much rather walk around all day with my 13 ounce .357 M&P 360. If you like heavier guns then good for you. For me lighter is better. Why do you care that some people like to carry lightweight guns?

SPUSCG

I know people who buy elsie pea and cant shoot her worth a crap. They say "doesn't metter, its easy to carry. Theres a mix between carrying and actually shooting the thing.

Shadi Khalil

Despite having smaller and lighter options, for the last 5 years I've carried a P239. It's pretty big for a "compact" gun and weighs nearly 30oz when loaded. However, I just feel better carrying a gun I know I can shoot very well. Like its been said, a good belt and holster makes a world of difference.

testuser

I carry a Walther PPK in .380 very often due to it's size size. I'd like to carry my fullsize pistols, but sometimes you can't wear a coat, the shirt has to be tucked in and wearing pants a size or two too big isn't going to cut it. (Otherwise, I usually carry a 10mm. )

Recoil is slight due to the 22 ounce weight. Once and a while I read something about "snappy" recoil on web boards. That's an absolute myth. It recoils less than duty sized 9mm pistols. (I much prefer the wrap around grips of the PPK to the panels of the PPK/S. More comfortable for me.)

It's simple to hit cans with it at 20 yards and I can fire it all day without fatigue.

Anyway, sounds fun to me...

Hoss Fly

Why do you care that some people like to carry lightweight guns?

Wondering the same :confused:
Sometimes i carry a Russian Mak & other times i carry a full sized all steel 1911 -
Bet mines heavier than yours :p

hdawson228

I can sure tell a big difference in my Kahr CW9 at 16 ounces and a 30-40 ounce blaster. I would tend to leave my CCW at home more if uncomfortable.:cool:

jmortimer

"Theres a mix between carrying and actually shooting the thing"
A better question would be why do people like to carry lightweight guns? Aside from the obvious, easier to conceal and easier to carry, I actually like shooting lightweight guns. I shoot standard pressure ammunition that has been proven. If I can get a full profile 150 grain hard cast wadcutter at 900 fps from a J Frame to shoot through any bad guy on earth then I'm satisfied. Is it the best? No - but it is "enough gun." http://www.brassfetcher.com/Buffalo...r standard pressure Hard Cast Wad Cutter.html
I can get all five rounds out in about 3 seconds at +/- 3" at 7 yards and that is minute of bad guy ("MOBG").

Last edited:

Moe Howard

For those, such as myself, who must deep conceal,,, thinner, lighter, smaller, is VERY important. There is a reason so many manufacturers make so many different types of handguns. Everyone has a different physical build, life circumstances, skill level, and economic level. All of these factors determine what choices we make in our carry guns. I would prefer carrying a full framed large capacity gun more regularly, but most of the time it just is not in the cards for me. My Kel Tec p3at or pf9 is much better to have ON me than the Beretta's that have to stay in the safe while I am at work.

dean1818

Sheeze ......Not meaning to offend........ (I didnt say anything about your mom did I?)

Carry what you want.

The biggest point I am trying to make, is that a good holster and a good belt will allow you to carry a "bigger then you think" pistol.. IF YOU SO DESIRE......

Sometimes for a first time CCW, you may choose the absolute tinyiest, but
it may not be the best choice for you.

If you want to carry a micro pistol.... go for it....

Peace to all those that I have so offended

IMightBeWrong

I bas what pistol I tuck IWB largely on how thick it is compared to the pant's I'll be wearing. Weight isn't a huge deal all the time, but if I'm going to be out all day and possibly walking a lot I"d like something polymer as opposed to metal. Since I currently own no plastic, I'm looking at the Glock 19 and the M&P 45c and just deciding whether I'd rather carry a 45 with more weight or a 9 with less.

FoxtrotRomeo

full sized all steel 1911

I really have done that. I didn't have night sights so I chose a day when I knew I was going to be home by night time. 6 hours I carried the PT-1911.

Results? I still wonder why people complain.

I normally carry my Kimber Pro Eclipse II. It is also a steel frame and slide 1911. It doesn't bother me.

jmortimer

"Peace to all those that I have so offended" I doubt anyone was offended and you make a good point that it is possible to comfortably carry a "big stick" and why not? There is a plus/minus to most everything in life - weight, recoil, size - it goes both ways. Actually it is an interesting thread - why do some like larger or heavier or smaller or lighter self-defense handguns. I think many (most?) would like to have the biggest possible gun that can be used as a CCW. The are a few of us who absolutely prefer lighter, smaller guns. I don't target shoot - I just practice and again I like smaller, lighter guns. Next up is a Ruger SR9c. Big to me.

troy_mclure

ive carried everything from a naa mini in .22lr to a 5" ss 1911 in 10mm.

it all depends on where i am going and my activities for the day that dictates what i carry.

but i prefer a smaller and lighter gun.

Bill DeShivs

I have been carrying for 35 years. I have carried 1911s to mini revolvers.
I have carried a Keltec P32 in my pocket for about 12 years. I can tell the difference between it and a P3AT. All the hype about caliber is ridiculous. If you can place your shots, caliber doesn't matter. If you CAN'T place your shots, caliber doesn't matter.