My old Browning Buckmark

Sarge

I recently picked up a 1989 Browning Buckmark ‘Standard’ from a friend. The first Buckmark I shot was one of these early guns and it really sold me on them.

20210107_091551-001.jpg

I'd looked at the current rubber-grip, finger-groove/fiber optic Buckmarks with money in my pocket and no urge to buy one; so when this one came available, I jumped on it. Its trigger is a crisp, clean 2 3/4 pounds. Perfect, with a tiny bit of over-travel. The only thing I've added to this pistol is a strip of rubber Talon grip material to the front and rear grip straps. This is going to be my ‘Offhand Tune-up Pistol' so it will be shot a lot one-handed. Browning also made a trigger with an overtravel stop, intended for the Buckmark Silhouette and one or two other dedicated target variants. I'll either find one or add a stop screw to this one. I just needed to determine if the pistol is accurate enough to warrant it.

When the weather broke, I finally got a chance to really zero it. I took along a folding table and an old backpack I keep loaded with first aid & range gear. That bag was used for a rest. I had a part box of Federal Automatch and I used that for rough zeroing at 25 yards.

Once that was accomplished I switched to Federal '550 Pack' 36 grain copper plated hollow point. I got acquainted with his load in the mid 80s. Back then it was sold in a red 50 round boxes. From my Ruger MKI 6 7/8” Target Model, it was about as accurate as Winchester T22- and killed squirrels much better.

I shoot better on 3D targets than paper, so I turned the Buckmark on my Do-All Spinner target from 25 yards. The first five rounds of Federal HP hit near center of the 2 7/8" top plate. I moved the rest back to 50 yards and fired 15 total at the 4 1/2" bottom plate. It wiggled with every shot and even recorded a respectable cluster, once I perfected my sight picture.

20210107_135726.jpg

I am real pleased with the way this old pistol shoots.

NoSecondBest

I owned three Browning Buckmark silhouette models all at one time back in the early 90’s. They were much more accurate than either of my SW model 41’s. I shot two of the guns extensively and kept the third for a backup. Shooting silhouette, I shot multiple 60x60 scores with them and at one regional shoot I shot a 9x10 shoot-off at 100yds at rim fire rifle silhouette chickens, after shooting a 60x60. I missed the first one, adjusted, and ran the next nine. Those targets were less than one square inch total area. That’s also with open sights. They were the most accurate .22lr handguns I’ve ever seen. I cut the barrels down from 10” to 6” after silhouette and used them for 3 gun shoots. Finally sold them when I got out of that. Wished I’d kept one of them, great guns.

Sarge

Thanks for the post NSB. I never had a chance to shoot a 41 next to a Buckmark. My time with the Smith was limited to a few strings of slow fire at 25 yards and it had great sights, a great trigger and sure hung steady in the hand. In short, it made me look like a better shot than I was at the time.

After reading your comments I took the Browning out and pecked at the top half of that spinner target, one handed at 25 yards and was surprised at how often I hit it. With an overtravel stop and the right grips...

mk70ss

My first bullseye pistol was a 5.5 Buckmark Target with an Aimpoint red dot. They are fine firearms. Good luck with your new, old version.

bn12gg

I"ve owned a Buckmark Hunter for many years. It is a great entry level 22 handgun; also own 2 Smith and Wesson 41's and a 46. Dream on that the BuckMark out shoots the 41's.

.02 David :)

Frisco

You can't go wrong with a BuckMark. When my daughter turned 5 in 2009, I took her to the gun shop and let her pick out her own .22LR pistol. She picked a BuckMark Standard. I'd probably own one or two myself, but I have a couple of Ruger MkII and MkIIIs already.

Great pistol. She has moved on to a Glock 19 and a Glock 17 for IDPA and USPSA and a Smith Model 19 "just because"....but any time she goes out the back door to shoot her arch enemy steel plate...she takes her BuckMark along.

tex45acp

My first semi auto .22 was this Browning BuckMark Target. It is still my favorite and has taken down many rimfire silhouette's, squirrels and cottontails here in Texas.
BuckMarkTarget.jpg