My Nipple wrench

Remington kid

Lately there has been alot of talk about good and bad nipple wrenches. A few years ago I was having problems getting a couple of them loose and the two nipple wrenches I had were just about worthless.
After 10 cups of coffee and pulling out my hair trying to get the &^*($# nipples out I came up with the idea of useing a socket. Because of the shoulder on a nipple the socket wont fit so I cut notches out of the 5 mm sucket with a hawksaw and a pair of pliers and finshed up with a file.
Then I used a 1/4" allen wrench for the handle. Use it one way to bust loose or tighten the nipples and the other way to replace or get them started.
nipple1.jpg
[/IMG]
nipple2.jpg
[/IMG]

mec

Now, that was Smart! I fourpled a standard screwdriver type nipple wrench to fit the four slots on a paterson nipple. The replicas wrenches, in the past anyway were made of such pot metal that they would usually break. Here lately my nipples never get stuck and I believe I could make good use of one of those. My walker wrench works just fine- though the screwdiver blade is too big and the spring compressor loop too narrow to fit over the frame and spring.

Remington kid

Mec, I used a cheap (Made in China) socket and I'm not even sure where it came from,Lol. Use a really good socket if your going to make one. They really work great and it's all I use now.

Smokin_Gun

Thank you "RK" good idea! 5mm does that equate to about 3/16"? I'll figure that out, I really need a good one,,,broke one the other day. My other T handled one got rounded off. That's what I call timming... much appreciated and thanks for the pics.

Smokin_Gun

Thanks to Rk I made a Craftsman 7/32" socket into a nipple wrench with the help of Mr. Dremel & Mr. Mini Bench Grinder. When I got that Armi San Paolo a year ago I couldn't get that cone out, tried everything. I used a 1/4" breakerbar the modified 7/32" Craftman socket an a small vise. Put the Bar & Socket assy. on the cone and with the cylinder and wrench and a shop rag wrapped around them tightened them in the vise after soakin few hours with Bobcat penetrating oil. Carefully and steadily in Prayer I wrenched it in the vise and Wala! It broke free. Thanks again RK that really did make my day.

Oldelm

Great idea, Remington Kid! I gotta save that idea along with the rest of the BP tips & tricks I got a folder for on my computer. I never had a problem like Smokin's or anything, but will more than likely encounter some "stiff nipples" somewhere down the line,......hehe.
Nice photos, too. thanks! :)

Smokin_Gun

Hiya Oldelm, yup that sure did the trick... was like pullin a festered sliver you couldn't get...LoL!
Hey why don't we trade cylinders and that'll give you an excuse to get a Uberti Dragoon...HeHe! I'm always thinkin'....

Smokin_Gun

Yup I'm a diehard cap&ball Rev shooter and live on the Darkside shoot only Holy Black. Can shoot a flea off a gopher's ass at a 100 paces with one hand holdin a stick a chaw in the other....