My next rifle caliber?

CarJunkieLS1

So I'm getting a fairly large bonus at work in a few weeks and I want another deer rifle. I already have a .270 Win, 30-06 and my wife has a .243. I have decided that I definitely want a 24" barrel and a caliber larger than a .243 but smaller than a .270 and .30-06. This rifle will be a deer rifle primarily with the occasional range trip just for fun and some practice. I handload for my guns so ammo availability isn't a real issue, but I'd like the option to find factory ammo should I ever need it.

Here is what I'm thinking I want something that shoots a 110-140gr bullet with less recoil than a .270 but more "punch" than the .243. I have some caliber choices in mind .25-06, 7mm08, .260 Remington in no particular order. I'd maybe prefer a short action cartridge over another long action but not positive on that. I've even thought about "loading light" a .308.

I'm open to all suggestions as far as caliber choice and even bullet choice. The rifle will need to be one that is factory made and not a custom rifle. Looking to spend ~$550 or less on rifle alone. Thanks for you advice and sorry for such a long winded post.

MarkCO

I'd go for the .260. I've owned the 25-06, 7mm-08 and still own a few .308s, but the .260 is my favorite medium bore cartidge. The only bad thing about a .260 is it will make your other rifles jealous and your wife might claim it.

CarJunkieLS1

Barrel burning isn't a concern for me. I'm leaning towards the 7mm08 and everyone I know personally that has one sings its praises. I don't really know much about the .260 Remington. I'm gonna throw another wrench in the fire and say what about a 6.5x55 Swede?

I'm not worried about my wife claiming a rifle...as long as she doesn't want my car or my .270 Winchester. That rifle has a special place in my safe and in my heart LOL

MarkCO

6.5 x 55 Swede is an excellent choice as well. The .260 Rem is a 6.5mm based on the .308 case. The 6.5s enjoy a wide array of both hunting and match grade projectiles. They are very efficient aerodynamically.

jmr40

You're splitting some mighty fine hairs. The 270, 30-06 and 308 are all pretty much interchangeable as are a 7-08 or 7X57. They would be virtually the same and a 260 or 6.5X55 would be pretty darn close to the 243.

In reality there is nothing 7x57 can do that you couldn't do with the 270 or 30-06 and there is nothing the 6.5X55 will do that you couldn't do with a 243. But I'd pick one of those just to be different if it has to be in between 30-06 and 243. You'd gain nothing in performance over what you have, but could do it with some pretty cool chamberings that are less common.

I'd personally lose either the 270 or 30-06. They are just too close in performance and go smaller than 243, keeping it as my middle of the road chambering.

A 223 covers everything up to and including deer. A 243 is darn near a perfect deer round and the 270 or 30-06 are more than adequate for everything in N America larger than deer.

taylorce1

I agree there isn't much that you can't cover with what you already have. The .243 and .270 already overlap if you want them too. The only thing I can think of that fits in your budget of $550 is a 11/111 Savage Trophy Hunter package with Nikon scope, but finding one chambered in something different than what you have will be tough. They only have 22" barrels though and if you were to get a .25-06 I'd prefer a 26".

If I were you I'd buy a .223 and have some real fun with a rifle you can shoot all day.

cookie5

Sent a hundred + dollars to a pro gun organization of your choice and save the rest of the money for ammo for the guns you presently own.

ammo.crafter

another rifle

Look up the stats for a 7x30 Waters. Extremely accurate cartridge, light recoil.
Cartridge is formed by necking down 30-30 brass.

CarJunkieLS1

You guys are forgetting that I'd like to have factory ammo available if I'd need it. And I already have a .223 its an AR-15 so having a bolt action .223 isn't gonna do anything my AR-15 won't. Plus I don't count it as a viable deer cartridge. I'm really liking the 6.5x55 Swede and a 7mm08.

I guess I'm wanting the performance on deer that my .270 or 30-06 gives but without the recoil so that my wife won't be so afraid to step up from the .243.

Geo_Erudite

I love my 6.5 Creedmoor, you just can't go wrong with this cartridge. Outside of the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5x284 and 257 Roberts are the only other cartridges I would consider (non-AR format).

tdoyka

i have a 6.5 creedmoor, t/c encore, 16 1/4" MGM barrel, high plains riflestock.

i would like a 257 bob ai in 21" MGM barrel, with these two i would take any deer.

257 bob and 6.5 swede would be for you

taylorce1

I guess I'm wanting the performance on deer that my .270 or 30-06 gives but without the recoil so that my wife won't be so afraid to step up from the .243.

Since you reload try some 100-110 grain Accubonds or TTSX bullets in the .270. It won't recoil anymore than your other two favorite choices you have right now. Unless that's your favorite deer rifle, then buy your wife a 7-08.

kilimanjaro

6.5 Swedish will do just fine. Having said that...

Rather than add another wildcat caliber, I'd just invest in a good recoil pad and a reloading press and get the ammo you want in the calibers you now have.

Here's another vote for the .308. It would seem to complete the "family" of cartridges already represented in your battery.

After that, the Swede sounds good as far as availability/logistics are concerned.

The others are not bad choices, taken in isolation. But you could neck down .308 to .243 if you needed to. A logical complement to what you already have.

CarJunkieLS1

Already reload for my rifles...and the .270 is my favorite rifle me and that particular rifle go together like peas and carrots. I also have no interest in load development for lighter bullets for the .270. As it sits I'm liking the 7mm08 and 6.5 Swede the best.

Buzzcook

Pathfinder45

Think outside your box.....

You've already covered the essential bolt-gun cartridges. Maybe you should consider looking for a pre-64 Winchester model 94 or model 55 or model 64 in 30-30?

Been there

Something between - 6.5x55 almost equals the .270 with less powder, kick & noise. 7mm-08 is the best cartridge to be based on the .308 case IMO
.260 , less capable than the Swede but still a good allrounder, light recoil.