My new training rifle

Pep in CA

OK, so I'm a newbie. I bought my first ever guns last November, 2015. Included in my purchase was a Marlin 60 SN. I have to say this gun has served me well for the price I paid for it. It was more or less a throw in with the other guns I purchased at the time, but it has proved itself as an excellent shooter and training gun.

Lately though, I've been looking for a better training gun ... for me and for my friends who haven't fired a gun before. My eyes have wandered here:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-training-rifle-22-lr-beech-5-rd-mag/

I have to say, even though the CZ training rifle is more than twice the price I paid for my Marlin 60, it has many advantages, and I'm thinking of trading my Marlin for this model. Most notably, of course, is the fact that the CZ is a bolt action while the Marlin 60 is a semi-automatic, but for rifle accuracy, bolt action seems the way to go.

Also, I have realized that I don't like the stock Marlin iron sights. The sights on the CZ, on the other hand, are highly praised.

Your thoughts and opinions, please.

Pep in CA

Blindstich, to answer your question, no. I have never seen the iron sights of the CZ 455 training rifle first hand, but I do know this: the stock iron sights on my Marlin 60 are not very good.

Don't get me wrong. For the money I paid for my Marlin they are just fine. No complaints.

However, when I've tried to introduce friends or relatives to shooting, they have universally told me it is too difficult ... and I blame the stock Marlin sights for that. They are very primitive and have a lot of glare. I know this myself.

PS -- have you tried to change the iron sights on a Marlin 60, first hand? If so, I hope you can elaborate.

Pep in CA

Emcon5, thanks for the link, but I think I'm going the Pathfinder45 way. That is, I think I'll do the trade.

The CZ model just seems too good to me. Not only because of the sights, but the fact it has a 24.875" barrel (compared to the 19" barrel of my Marlin).

Also, even though it is called a training gun, the CZ is actually an outstanding varmint hunting gun .... among the best I've seen online.

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

I can't comment as to why but many seem to feel the now discontinued 452 is better than the replacement 455, so perhaps scour the gun sale sites for a used one. I have one and it is great.

I lack the knowledge to confirm, but many on here have said its iron sights are among the best they've seen on a rifle. I don't know if they are the same on the 455.

My first and only .22 rifle was a CZ-452 Trainer and it has been an amazing rifle for the last 13 years or so.

Last year my College shooting club, had a lot of new members from Brazil who had never fired or handled a weapon before and we started them on my CZ-452. With the CZ bolt-action, I think they learned that good shooting doesn't start with shooting fast, or even shooting a lot. It starts with accuracy and patient techniques, such as trigger control, sight picture, and proper hold of weapon.

I'm such a big fan of CZ that I'm thinking about buying a couple more CZ .22's in case I have any children. To me they are the perfect first gun.

Blindstitch

PS -- have you tried to change the iron sights on a Marlin 60, first hand? If so, I hope you can elaborate.

I don't have a model 60 but I have other marlins and Williams and skinner make sights for them.

I do have one marlin that sucks reguardless. It's a 983s 22 magnum or something like that. Basically the stock is set in a way that in order to use open sights you have to mash your face on it hard and low. I eventually got iron sights to hit where I wanted but added a scope to it.

Pep in CA

Thanks for the tips and info guys. I think I'll go with the CZ model. The MSRP is only $374, so we're not talking about a lot of money.

Next step, of course, is to find a local dealer who has one in stock. That can be difficult, especially where I live. Not a lot of gun dealers nearby, but there is one good one that is listed on the CZ website.

Thanks again.

DaleA

Thanks for starting this thread Pep in CA, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks to everybody that posted links to sights and rifles. It's really nice to see what's out there if you want a VERY accurate .22 but don't want to bust the $500 (roughly) limit.

Pep in CA

You're welcome, Dale, and thank you too.

Just to mention, I've changed my plan a bit. I still intend to buy the CZ rifle because I want a good training rifle with good iron sights, but I now plan to keep my Marlin rifle too. I wouldn't get much money for it as a trade-in, plus, a month ago I put a $30 Bushnell scope on it.

Since then, it has taught me about MOA adjustments and given me the opportunity to shoot a scoped rifle, albeit a very inexpensive one. And since I don't plan to put a scope on the CZ, I'll have 2 training rifles ... one with iron sights and one scoped.

dakota.potts

You will not be disappointed with the CZ rifle. I got mine 3 years ago on my 18th birthday (first gun I ever filled out a Form 4473 for) and it's still my most-shot gun. I moved up here for gunsmithing school and found out one of my classmates who was a competitive .22 shooter for several years has the same model CZ. I don't particularly care for the iron sights myself but when we shoot 50 yard light rifle with them he uses iron sights and completely wipes my score with a scope... and I consider myself a halfway decent shot.

Pep in CA

Pathfinder, that's true and it makes sense to me in this case. On the other hand, I don't necessarily want to amass a small fortune in guns. One gun for each purpose is my strategy going forward as a gun owner.

In this case, it makes sense. I'll have two training rifles ... one scoped and one with iron sights. Each will serve a specific purpose and neither of them will break my piggy bank.

g.willikers

With .22s, there's no telling if the bolt action will be really more accurate, or even as accurate, until you actually try it.
With rimfires, there's so much dependent on the ammo, too.
But any excuse to get another one is a good one.