My "new-to-me" Speed Six problem..

hoytinak

As I posted a couple of days ago I picked up a Ruger Speed Six .357. I have since put roughly 300 rounds (mix of .38 & .357) through it and noticed that it has problems shooting reloads. The cylinder or hammer catches about a quarter way back when pulling the trigger for DA or pulling the hammer back for SA. It only does it with reloads not factory ammo and not with an empty cylinder. But these reloads work great with several other .38/.357's I've shot them in. Any ideas?

cheezhed

High primer would be the first thing that would come to mind or perhaps rim thickness is different between brands of brass. Maybe the bullet is farther out in the reload or if it happens later in the shooting cycle the bullets might be backing out due to recoil.

MikeG

Do the reloads have primers that aren't flush with the case head or below it? Protruding primers can catch on the recoil shield and hinder cycling.
Your problem seems related to the reloads.

Dot_mdb

This problem should be easily solved by finding the cases that are causing the problem and inspecting them to see how they are different. I once ran into some S&B .38 special cases that had heavier case heads.

You can do a function check by loading the chambers and then, keeping your finger off the trigger, pull the hammer back enough to release the cylinder. Turn the cylinder using your other hand to see if any rounds are causing problems.

Also, check to see if there are any powder grains under the extractor.

Bill

ckpj99

Your primer pockets on your brass may also be loose or too dirty making it so your primers are getting pushed out and not going back in. Same basic problem as having high primers, but the problem wouldn't show up until you started firing rounds.

Lavan

With the problem ONLY with reloads that work in other guns, I would think the primers are just fine but would check the sizing die. Mike some reloads compared to a factory round.