My new tag-along

HistoryJunky

Today I just picked up my new Ruger LCP in shimmer gold from my local fun store.

This was a big step for me. Previously, I had not seen the use of having such a small gun to carry. I always wore jeans and carried my full size CZ-85b.

Lately I've been leaving home in a hurry to run errands or go to work. A lot times I'll be wearing jogging pants and won't have a pistol to carry.

Realizing this, I bought the LCP so I am carrying all the time. I never imagined how light the pistol really is for carry. A lot of times it is like it is not even there.

The trigger isn't great but it helps reduce the chance of negligent discharges I guess.

Besides, I'm sure if I can master the trigger on this gun then that will carry over to my trigger skill with others.

My only complaint is that I didn't know the gun would come with a pocket holster. I bought one ahead of time to be prepared. Guess I have an extra.
a645430abaa3b8962e5a306afc934968.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

jmhyer

No trick. Just lots of trigger time. The benefits of dry fire cannot be understated. And accept it for what is its intended purpose...a last resort for self defense/preservation whose intended accuracy is expected to be no better than "minute-of-bad-guy" at relatively close range.

1911_Hardball

jmhyer said:
whose intended accuracy is expected to be no better than "minute-of-bad-guy" at relatively close range.
My LCP Custom put all 25 rounds of a box of Hornady Critical Defense into an 8" paper plate at 10 yards. If you eliminate 4 flyers on the edge (which were clearly my fault) the group was sub 6 inches with a ragged 7 shot hole in the center. This was offhand (2 hand), not from a rest.
I was more than a little impressed with its accuracy.

K_Mac

As already said, there really isn't any trick to using one. The trigger just takes some getting used to. I will add one suggestion: A $10 Houge grip will help keep the pistol from moving around in your hand while shooting for speed. Enjoy your new pistol.

HistoryJunky

As already said, there really isn't any trick to using one. The trigger just takes some getting used to. I will add one suggestion: A $10 Houge grip will help keep the pistol from moving around in your hand while shooting for speed. Enjoy your new pistol.
Yes I have noticed that. Even though I haven't got out to shoot it yet, the grip is very small. Even for my hands.

Does adding the hogue grip sleeve add to the overall thickness much for carry?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

K_Mac

Does adding the hogue grip sleeve add to the overall thickness much for carry?

No. It is a thin layer of rubber that makes little difference in size. You will not notice any difference while carrying. If I was smart enough to add a picture I would. Google it.

tallball

It depends on your hand size. If you have small hands, you might practice enough and get palm-sized groups at 15 yards or more. In my experience the gun itself is normally capable of that.

My hands are enormous. It beats them up. But I can still snatch it out of a pocket holster and quickly empty the magazine onto a paper plate at seven yards (21 feet). That is plenty good enough for SD.

HistoryJunky

It depends on your hand size. If you have small hands, you might practice enough and get palm-sized groups at 15 yards or more. In my experience the gun itself is normally capable of that.

My hands are enormous. It beats them up. But I can still snatch it out of a pocket holster and quickly empty the magazine onto a paper plate at seven yards (21 feet). That is plenty good enough for SD.

That is encouraging. I can get a 2 finger grip on the gun with the flat baseplate attached. I will have to see how well I can shoot it.

After dry firing more and more, I'm starting to get used to the trigger as well.

oldcabin

I had the original LCP and tried the Hogue grip. I found It made the actual gripping of the gun more vague and I could feel it move a little on the gun. I had it off quickly and got used to gorilla gripping it with 2 fingers and putting my finger on the trigger in a different way compared to everything else. It just had smaller dimensions, and I have large frame hands. Maybe a grip tape instead of the Hogue would be better. My opinion is the Hogue overgrip was like a dr scholls insert. It just didn't work for me.

HistoryJunky

I had the original LCP and tried the Hogue grip. I found It made the actual gripping of the gun more vague and I could feel it move a little on the gun. I had it off quickly and got used to gorilla gripping it with 2 fingers and putting my finger on the trigger in a different way compared to everything else. It just had smaller dimensions, and I have large frame hands. Maybe a grip tape instead of the Hogue would be better. My opinion is the Hogue overgrip was like a dr scholls insert. It just didn't work for me.

I am lucky I guess that I can get a decent shooting grip on the LCP. It's not ideal, barely 2 fingers but it works. I can use the trigger like any other handgun because I have short fingers.

This is the first and probably only time having smaller hands has been a benefit for me in the world of firearms.