My New Star BM!

Grapeshot

Ok, so it's not "new", but I just got it from SOG. I hate it when people talk about their new gun they haven't shot yet, but I'm going to make some judgements about it anyway based on an extremely limited amount of shooting I did with it last night before dark.

First of all, I was really impressed with the gun when I opened the package, despite the fact that to S.O.G. the NRA grade of "Excellent" means "mildly beat up". The gun was once a fantastically blued firearm, but mine has some ver small flecks of bluing missing here and there; you have to look closely. Fortunately though, there are no chunks of metal missing from this gun as there were on my "Very Good" grade S&W's from S.O.G. I guess Spanish Police don't drop their guns as much as ours do? Anyway, the metallurgy and machining on my gun was excellent, could barely tell it from an American gun inside. It was just used, with some once-sharp edeges having dull spots on them, etc.

The gun is a miniature 1911, complete with cute lil' bushing. Disassembly was a little interesting since it has a full-length guide rod, which I didn't expect.

Sights are small but usable, especially the front one, which is Patridge-style, not a ramp as in the picture. Grip feels wonderful in the hand, mildly curved with no grip safety to screw things up. The gun's short barrel makes it perfectly balanced. I felt like I had an Officer's ACP or maybe a Kimber "Compact" sized gun, only this gun is smaller than a Gov. model pistol. I can't really describe it accept to say it reminds me of a .380 Gov. Mod. Colt scaled up just a little. At any rate, it's smaller and more compact than I realized, just reminds me of a big .380.

Trigger on my gun is outstanding, being light AND crisp. Someone must've worked on this one, but it's the best 1911 trigger I've felt.

Shooting - after a quick swab through the bore and Break-Free spraying of the internals, I was outside in the freezing wind. I was fighting the coming darkness, So I put up 1 target at 15 yards and prayed that the Winchester "White Box" 100 count FMJ's from WallyWorld would function.

My first 3 shot group went inside 1.5" at 15 yards freestanding. I couldn't believe it! And so did the next one. At that point it was getting a little dark and my further groups loosened up a tad simply because I was having trouble seeing my sights. Anyway, 2 clips of 8 still went into about 3" at that distance, even with my ever-worsening shooting.

I was impressed. I plinked at a water bottle, just to see how fast I could crank off some shots, and was impressed.

So what is my conclusion after 24 rounds of FMJ? WOW! I can't believe this gun, accurate and totally reliable in a small, carryable package. Recoil was a little snappier than I expected for such a heavy gun, but it was more quickness than muzzle flip. I like the gun MUCH better than my Kahr of years past.

The Downside - my gun has some quirks. First, the tang was not designed right, having a pseudo-sharp edge right where the web of your hand absorbs recoil. To make things worse, somebody dinged mine, making the metal there even sharper and jagged. It was only a mere annoyance while shooting however, no blood or redness.

Worse though was my gun's thumb safety. Applying it requires more strength than my thumb is capable of in the normal firing postion. It's just kinda hard - but I think it moves up to block the the hammer, since you can see the hammer moving back a little when the safety goes on. Not a big problem for me to shift my grip to do this. However, as hard as the safety is to apply, it snicks off WAY too easily, so smoothly that carry in the cloth shoulder holster I had would produce a gun with the safety 99% off. Anybody know if this can be fixed?

I'm not sure if this gun is ever going to be safe to carry cocked and locked; might be better carried with an empty chamber. Whether this dissuades me from carring it remains to be seen at this time. If nothing else, it will make a dandy range pistol.

I also have no idea whether the gun will feed hollow points - I suspect not, as that's a lot to ask of such a finely-made cheap gun. I have some Cor-Bons lying around, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance of ruining my good shooter with them. I plan on reloading some HP's for it but don't know when I'll get to shoot it agoin soon since it's snowing pretty badly here.

Would I Buy Another? - ABSOLUTELY! I had been considering other guns in this price range - a Taurus .38 snubby, a Ruger P95, a Kel-Tec P11, a Bersa .380, and some others I've now forgotten. I am SO GLAD I got what I got, it is high quality, pretty, and accurate, with a trigger that you'd have a hard time finding on any modern 1911. I'd recommend these guns to anybody as a BEST BUY in that price range. Some day, I'd like to get its big brother, the Star Model B Super.

Hope this helps prospective purchasers!

Wayne D

If my memory is correct (that's getting more rare everyday), when the star single actions were in production they were hailed as very good guns for the money. I think the "wondernine" craze of the eighties hurt their sales to the point that Star dropped them (again I'm relying on my aging memory). I guess any gunsmith that is familiar with 1911's could adjust the safety but I'm not sure. Isn't it great to stumble on an old "sleeper" like that. I bought a rusty old 1916 Spanish Mauser from a friend. My first three shots (50 yards, open sights, resting on top of a fence post) could be covered by a dime.

Grapeshot

Thanks guys,

Yes, it's certainly great to uncover a sleeper like this. Who ever thought that guns like this would become so rare in today's market?

One thing I forgot to mention about my gun is that mags. do not drop free of the gun when released, probably due to the magazine safety holding on to them. Whether this detracts is really based on your point of view. I find it almost quaint and charming, but then I never did let my mags free-fall to the floor anyway (I hate dinged-up magazines).

I was just looking at my gun and playing with the safety again. When the safety is almost all the way down, just before the final "click" you hear upon its finality, you can pull the trigger back a little. Then when you snick the safety all the way down (finger OFF the trigger) the hammer will fall to half-cock! Holy crap! Even I realize that just shouldn't happen. Just picture this happening during a crisis.

Condition 3 it shall be.

Erich

Grapeshot, thanks so much for your thorough and wonderfully descriptive review. I anticipate SOG will experience a jump in sales from TFLers! Thanks for your hard work - I really enjoyed the useful review.

Grapeshot

I'll post again with more shooting results as soon as I can get some HP's reloaded ...

Don't mind at all writing about this gun, Erich. I found little or nothing on it as far as reviews, and would like other financially inhibited folks like myself to check it out. I have gotten some real dogs from S.O.G. and others due to being mis-informed.

The best thing is, my Colt .380 Gov./9 mm Commander fetish is satisfied, and at a fraction of the cost.

Grapeshot

Oh, and Stephen A. Camp ...

Many thanks to you, sir, for answering my many questions regarding Stars. I've read about everything you wrote here on TFL regarding them, and found it extremely helpful in my decision.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Grapeshot,

In the early day's of Star's modern day single-action auto's
I have several friends that purchased what was called the
"Star Starlight 9m/m".:) From all report's these were very
good, inexpensive guns.:cool: If memory serves me correct,
I believe they paid something like $125.00 per unit, for these
weapon's.:D I never heard a complaint from any of the Star-
light user's. At the time, I was in love with the Smith & Wesson
39-2 9m/m auto. And you know what? I still am; althought I
gave way, and now own the wonderful, world famous Sig-Sauer
P228 w/high cap's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

boogalou1

Grapeshot - I just received my Star BM today and am also impressed. I got mine from Old Sacramento Armory. I agree with you on the trigger, it breaks very nice. You must have a problem with your safety, because mine works fine. Also, the mag won't drop free on mine either. The Pistol was made in 1977. The date code will be on the frame underneath the left grip. Are the grips on yours black plastic? I really like these Star pistols and and plan on buying more. Thanks for the report.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. The magazine doesn't drop out due to the magazine disconnect. On this gun, it doesn't affect the trigger pull, but is easily removed should you so desire.

Best.

Grapeshot

Boogalou,

yes, mine are the black plastic grips. I found the webpage that gives manufacturing dates, but haven't had time to take my grip off to look.

I shot my Star BM today in an extended range session, and I must say I am still impressed with this very high quality pistol. Look for my update soon.