My new SIG P220R Carry

Micropterus

Thought a I'd post a pic of my new Sig Sauer P220R Carry. After tons of researching, weighing the good opinions against the bad, and handling and thoroughly inspecting the gun, I decided to go with it. I haven't fired it yet. Hope it treats me right or I'll turn it into an HK45. I got it with Sig Lite sights, two mags.

Attachments

• P220_1.JPG
    P220_1.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 315
  • P220_2.JPG
    P220_2.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 185
  • P220_4.JPG
    P220_4.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 156

D-Ric902

Your gonna like that gun. I like mine, shoots everything well.
I got the DAK trigger installed in mine and I'm glad I did.

Coltman 77

Great looking Sig. Congratulations. :)

I have a new full size P220 and have put about 800 rds thru it with zero malfunctions so far.

Uncle Malice

Excellent weapon. I would like to get a P220 Carry size. I would probably go with the Elite version because I like the 1911-style beavertail.

220_carry_elite_two_tone.jpg

Yesss... but a bit more pricey. :-(

swmp9jrm

I really like the Elite as well, but I found this over-run SAO beavertail for a little less money. I'd love to find a set of the Elite wood grips for this.

s5ifiq.jpg

DBAR

I really like the Elite as well, but I found this over-run SAO beavertail for a little less money. I'd love to find a set of the Elite wood grips for this.

I like this gun, but I can't stand the beaver tail. What were they thinking?

The beaver tail looks, and actually has a function on a 1911, but not on the Sig!

Uncle Malice

I find the beavertail to be very aesthetically pleasing... much more so than the standard design. It has the same purpose as it does on a 1911. It makes for a lighter felt recoil and provides a more positive, quick grip.

To each their own, I suppose.

DBAR

It makes for a lighter felt recoil

I'm not buying into that. Doesn't make any sense.

and provides a more positive, quick grip.

Maybe for the people who don't shoot very much. If you train with you handgun....

Never mind, I'm not trying to start a debate. Next somone will some along and tell us how it prevents "hammer bite", which shouldn't happen with the design of the Sig.

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

No worries, friend. I'm not trying to start a debate either. I own one... so I can only speak from personal experience.

As for how much "since"(I think you mean sense?) it makes... The larger beavertail spreads out over the thenar, thereby producing more surface area with a better cushion...

In any case... don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.

DBAR

In any case... don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.

I have, and it makes no difference as far as felt recoil is concerned. I shoot a lot of 1911's, Sig's, CZ's, and ect...... The beaver tail really has no purpose on a Sig, just looks. Not to mention it gets in the way when you try to conceal a handgun with it on there.

Does that make sense?

DBAR

Uncle Malice

Interesting. I understand where you're coming from. Personally I think it's very comfortable.

As for concealability, I don't think that it has any difference at all in comparison to the standard model. I have carried a P229 and my P220 Elite and I actually found the rounded beavertail more comfortable than the point on the P229.

I always like to hear different perspectives though. I think you're the first person I've heard that did not like the beavertail on the Elite models.

Cheers.

swmp9jrm

Well, I don't give a rip myself about the function of the beavertail on my P-220R Carry - I just think it looks good. I understand your position regarding concealment, but I don't normally try to conceal the P-220 when I carry it. I've got others to carry unseen and quite comfortable.

The beavertail does give the P-220 some resemblance to my 1911, so I guess maybe I just like the looks of this style. And I guess that's why they make P-220s WITH and WITHOUT!! Isn't this a great country!

Last edited:

darko

Congrats. I picked one of these up a couple of months ago, (have'nt shot it yet). It appears to be a nearly ideal pistol. The only thing I may do is put the hogue finger grooved grips on it. I'm not sure if that would add too much bulk to the grip though.

DBAR

I always like to hear different perspectives though. I think you're the first person I've heard that did not like the beavertail on the Elite models.

If you ever hang around sigforum.com, you'll hear a lot of people that don't like them.

swmp9jrm,

Your right, but some models come with it regardless, and you can't get it without it. It shouldn't make any difference to me either way. I'm done shopping for a few years, can't afford another one anyways.

glocktoys

i got one for my daughter and she loves it and i like it too and shoots great and feeds everything too. only downside is ammo limit of 7/8 rounds. great gun you will love it i am sure

dgludwig

I like this gun, but I can't stand the beaver tail. What were they thinking?

An answer to a question never asked. I think the extended beavertail is nothing more than a marketing strategy. Tits on a boar hog.