My new S&W Model 60 .357

Ben Swenson

At long last, I decided to get into the world of revolvers. Last night Kcustom45 and I went up to Lafayette and I bought Ronin308's little snubby .357 and Galco ankle holster. It was in better shape than he claimed, the dirty liar.
He tossed in an extra grip (boot grip installed, extended grip in the box), some defensive ammo, a Galco ankle holster and a 2 cent tour of West Lafayette with Christopher II narrating.

So far I'm very pleased, and I'll try to get some pictures of the gun up when I get home tonight.

Now, I have a stupid question about this gun. How the heck do I get the boot grips off? I wanted to try the other grip on it, but I couldn't figure out how to pull off the boot grips without fear of damaging something.

LWCmdr45

If you can't get a purchase under a grip panel to lift it off, reinsert the screw about halfway and gently tap on it.

Steve

Ben Swenson

If you can't get a purchase under a grip panel to lift it off, reinsert the screw about halfway and gently tap on it.
Perhaps my terminology is wrong.
The grips I am referring to have no visible screws and are one piece.

Bob C

Assuming you have the Hogue's, they come from Hogue with a plastic two legged wedge which allows you to get under the edge without marring the finish and then remove them.

VictorLouis

Sounds like the 'Bantam' grip

From the lower rear, insert a credit card between the frame and the grip on either side. Gently pry them out just enought to lift the rubber away from the frame. You only need a couple of millimeters clearance on each side in order to clear the little locator pin at the bottom of the grip frame. Then, you can pull them forward and off.

Gila Jorge

Just bought a nib 60LS myself. Really am enthralled with her. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot yet but feel its the best compromise for stealth and balance. Also wanted the 357 for durability although plan on shooting 38Spcl +Ps.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

In all fairness, I must admitt that I've never tried the
"new" Smith & Wesson model 60, in .357 magnum.:eek:
It's just something about the slightly larger J-frame that
I don't care for!:eek: I've always considered the original
model 60 (- nothing) Chief's Special with the "R" serial
prefix an "undercover gun"; or at least designed for
plain clothes use. I knew when this gun was introduced
way back yonder in 1965, that it was like a cat; and
would live at least 9 lives. I guess it has superceded
all those expectation's; and then some? But for me,
I'm a traditionalists; I will stick with the older S&W
model 60 "Chief's Special" in .38 Special caliber!:cool: :D

Happy Holiday's,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ben Swenson

Thanks guys, with your help I got the grips off just fine. And then put them back on because they'll be best for CCW, I think.

Here's a picture:
model60boot.jpg

Ala Dan,
If you're trying to ruin my good mood, I'll PM you a picture of the Galco holster on my disgustingly skinny, white leg. Consider yourself warned!
*grin*

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Naw Cordex, that won't be necessary. If that is what
you like my friend; then go for it!:) But, I know of too
many stories of how the original Smith & Wesson
model 60 (- nothing) survived in a lot of rucksack's, in
the hot humid jungles of southeast Asia; at a time when
the little gem's were very scarce!:cool: :D I'm sure I
could learn to enjoy your weapon, also! (Laughing Loudly);)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member