My "New" S&W double action .44 special

NVBigEd

I recently came across.... and therefore "he" had to come home with me, an "Old Man" looking for a home..... He's 89 years old, but still looks good, shoots great and is popular with men, and women, alike....

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Duke City Six

Wow,

Nice. I'm jealous.

I'm very interested in the 44 special. Skeeter and Elmer and all that. Thinking about a flattop Blackhawk.

Ozzieman

You know, this was turning out to be a great day till I opened your thread, now I will spend the remainder of the evening with the dreaded disease “I want that”...
How much?
Hope you didn’t pay as much for you’re as I did for the attached which I picked up several weeks ago.
One word describes your new acquisition: SWEET

Last edited:

NVBigEd

Thanks for the kind comments. This pistol is much, much older than my usual additions! Is there anything special I should do to keep it looking good?

The stocks are pretty much unfinished, I don't know if I should put some BLO or Tru Oil on them? Any suggestions... Other than sending it to one of you?!

NVBigEd

I spent a couple of hours at the range today and put 100 rounds of my hand loads and 50 rounds of Winchester Cowboy action ammo through the .44 HE.... What a terrific pistol! I am usually more accurate with revolvers than semi-auto pistols, but I found this old S&W to be particularly accurate and easy to shoot.

I'm a big guy and the combination of the size and heft of the "N" frame combined with the mild .44 special round is a terrific combination. I have a soft spot for the old "black powder days" cartridges, I shoot a lot of .38, .45 colt and .357.... but I do believe I've found a new favorite!

I might have to find another .44 special pistol.... I know the 2nd Model is still a "usable" pistol, but it's such a nice example, I just don't want to damage it. But, shooting large bore double action is something I want to do a lot more of.... Thank goodness I reload! They don't give those big bore bullets away, do they?