My new S&W 25-5

smee78

So after doing some thinking and looking and looking and looking, I decided I wanted another 45lc and came across this and fell in love. What do yall think? Smoothest trigger I've ever felt and tight as a bank vault. She is lightly used and is a winner in my book. She is a magnaport custom and she is all mine. I may try to get some range time in tomorrow. I already put on a set of Ahrends smooth grips.

Attachments

• S&w 25-5.jpg
    S&w 25-5.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 190
  • pix2245360593.jpg
    pix2245360593.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 104
  • pix2245360421.jpg
    pix2245360421.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

smee78

She is a 25-5 that has been given what looks like a nickel bath.:D Lucky 7 I'll put you first in line when that happens:rolleyes: dont hold your breath though.

stevieboy

Interesting. Someone put some real effort -- and money, no doubt -- into modifying that gun. My guess is that the barrel's been chopped. That looks like a 2 1/2" gun and I don't think that Smith made the 25 in that length. Also, it's been crowned, and as you say, magnaported, not something that Smith would do. Finally, the finish is definitely not factory. Looks like a helluva gun.

robctwo

Beautiful. I can't read the name of the custom work on the left side of the barrel.

I have developed a thing for the 25 Colt S&W revolvers, another on the way as we speak. 25-7.

smee78

The name on the barrel is (magnaport custom) and inside the ejector rod area on the barrel matches the last 4 serial numbers of the gun.

shooting4life

I like that, never seen one like that before. I have a 25-5 with a six inch barrel that is a real nice gun. In great shape and got it at a good price

robctwo

I've been playing around with loads for my two 25s. I'm shooting a 200 gr swc over 6 gr Red Dot for a light target load. Very accurate. 7.5 gr Universal under a 255 gr swc is stouter, but good.

smee78

So I finally got some range time in today and wow what a smooth shooter. She shoots about 3/4 of an inch high with the rear sight bottom out at 15yrds so looks like I will need to test a few different loads to find one that shoots point of aim in her. Other than that she was a smooth shooter and a great time on the range was had. I did not have alot of time to do "proper testing" but I got some great touching 3 shot groups and the double action was the smoothest I have ever had in any revolver. More to come as time and money allow.

Robctwo thanks for the load data, looks like I finally need to get off the couch and get some 45lc dies and start cranking out some 45 to got with everything else.

I recently started loading for mine and also settled on the 7.5 grains of Universal, as did another here around the same time.

While I've only fired about 100 rounds of the Universal reload, I'm VERY happy with is performance out of my 4".

robctwo

I did a little home gunsmithing this past weekend. I expanded the mouths of the chambers on my Ruger BH convertibles. They were really constricted. I made a bit out of 3/8" bolt and ran wet/dry sandpaper. I had a slight constriction in two chambers on my 25-13 and the 25 Classic is perfect.

Reloading brings my cost to about .45ACP. No cost savings, lots of shooting.