My new rifle

KySilverado

Picked it up new a couple weeks ago. The original sights weren't going to cut it for me. The Baldwin's arrived today.Come on warm weather.

Uberti 1885 High Wall Special Sporting in 45-70, 32" Barrel

IMG_0990Medium.jpg

IMG_0988Medium.jpg

IMG_0987Medium.jpg

Last edited:

KySilverado

Fisherman66 said:
Anyone see the new Uberti Rolling Block carbine? Son of a gun weights 4.5 lbs. Imagine shooting an intense Buffalo Bore kind of 45-70 load out of that one. Also comes in 30/30 and 38/55

That weight and the right load could get interesting.:D

The shop where I bought this one had several Models of Uberti on the wall. My next may be their 1873 Rifle. I handled one and liked it a lot.

fisherman66

That weight and the right load could get interesting.

I'd think the 30/30 might feel similar to a 300 Mag in a 4.5lb rifle. I think I'd pass on shooting one in 45-70. I wonder if they took pains to find strong wristed blanks for the stock. That's purdy close if not exceeding 50lbs free recoil for stout loads. At least they put a recoil pad on that one (bandaid thin).

KySilverado

Thanks guys. I've been wanting a single shot in 45-70 for several years. The tastes have changed a bit, in that I'd been eyeing the Sharpes styles. After acquiring a couple original 1885 Winchesters I've fallen in love with them and finally pulled the trigger on this one. Really wanted a Winchester or Browning but couldn't justify the extra coin after handling one of the Uberti's.

Made it out today with my son to put a few down range. Put 20 rounds through it. 30 yards sitting. The sights are amazing. Trigger pull was a bit heavy with a little creep. It functioned perfectly. Shooting some 300g moderate loads that I shoot in my contender. In this 10lb rifle they were very mild recoil wise. I'm confident it's going to be a shooter. Looking forward to working up some loads for it and stretching out the distance.

Three different rifles on the target. Upper left my sons Cricket.:D Six o'clock trying out a new to me CZ 527 in 22 Hornet. Sweet rifle!, but another thread. Upper right, obviously, the Uberti. 10 round group. Damn thing is heavy. I attribute the flyers to fatigue and rushing the shots after holding to long.

IMG_1001Medium.jpg

KySilverado

Bagged it today at the range. First time I've shot it at 100yds. 18 rounds of factory Federal 300g on the target. Needed a bit of windage adjustment but just shooting for group. Next investment is a shoulder pad.

IMG_1025Large.jpg

Mental note to self, keep it tucked in to the shoulder where it needs to be.:(

IMG_1029Large.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzcook

The bruise is just gods way of saying do it right.

Looks like your having fun and that's the most important thing.

TXGunNut

I'm jealous, Ky! My new baby stayed in the safe today, way too windy in my corner of the world. Have some beautiful new BP cast bullet loads all lined up and ready to go. Maybe tomorrow.
Three words: PAST recoil pad.