My NEW...old Rem 721 with pics

flyguyskt

okay so this story started about 70 years ago when this gun was manufactured.

remington model 721 chambered in .300 Holland and Holland. most of you know th story of this great yet forgotten cartridge. it can be handloaded hotter than a 300 win mag!

so my dad bought me this gun 25 years ago as a present before my first bear hunt! it had the 26 inch barrel which we cut down to 22" and crowned.

25 years later i inhereted a couple pieces of awesome gun blanks from my brother...one english walnut(went to the 375 h&h) and one claro walnut seen here on the 300h&h. So i figured what better way to commemorate my dad and brother...
i took the wood to Accurate innovations and a few months later i had the stock, then i took the metal and had it reblued, threw new optics on it and here she is:

P6090132.jpg

P6090133.jpg

P6090131.jpg

Last edited:

flyguyskt

ya i know i was struggling with the lighting. the rest of the fore grip has soooo many colors in it that the light made the pics look funny. will try again. need a good sunny day photo to really show the old girls depth. too many cool features in the wood to post ALL the pics.

when taken to the gunsmith...he took it from me looked at it looked at me and said...wher in the F*#% did you find this stick of wood! 60 years old and he tells me he's never seen anything like it... showed to a few of the regulars and i guess all of them had trouble putting it down because they kept finding new spots to "investigate"

Damn that's some nice wood!

The 721/722 were Remington's first post-war centerfire rifles. They were introduced in 1948, with the .300 H&H being one of the original chamberings.

You can get an idea for when yours was made from Remington's page on the 721: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_721.asp

I have two 722s in .300 Savage. One has been HIGHLY screwed with (barrel shortened, horrific Bishop high sheen, high comb stock installed), but the other one is factory stock except for the rings and scope I put on it now that my eyes are going bad.

I'd love to find one in .300 H&H to keep the Savages company, but I've not seen one for years.

flyguyskt

yes ive checked number before and mine was a very early one from 48. was thinking 40's to near 2010 hence the 70 years. but guess it would be 60:rolleyes:

still she's vintage and shoots awesome...cant wait to site in hopefully this weekend. haven't shot it since new stock and optics! zeiss 4.5-14x50 with rapid z800 reticle.

Scorch

more pics. just for pizzakiller
flyguy-
I know you just posted the pics for Peetzakilla, but I just had to peek. That is a beautiful piece of Claro! I really like fancy wood, and that one is a beaut!

pizzapaiute

Great gun! My first centerfire was a 721 that I bought used in 1966. It was a 30 06 though.
That's a fantastic piece of wood. You have an heirloom there for sure.

flyguyskt

many people have told me to lock it in the safe! i say heck no this thing has and is going to continue dropping game for the pot until either it or i give up the ghost!!!