My new M&P40 Shield 1.0 Performance Center has arrived!

Forte S+W

A few days ago I ordered a brand new M&P40 Shield 1.0 Performance Center online for the excellent price of only $359.99! Yesterday it arrived at my LGS and I picked it up in the afternoon. At first glance, the M&P40 Shield 1.0 PC was obviously "new old stock" judging by it's very appearance both on the surface of the box and within. The box had some tell-tale signs that it had just been sitting somewhere collecting dust for awhile, (not sure how long) and the pistol itself was bone dry, it's preservative apparently having long since dried out. However, the tritium inserts on the sights are still nice and bright.

Being a Performance Center model, it has a ported barrel/slide as well as tritium night sights, both of which should come in handy since I do intend to carry this pistol in the future. Typically I'm not fond of porting, but my opinions of porting are largely based on hearsay, as I have never owned nor shot a firearm with a ported barrel pistol. However, for the price I paid, I don't care, if I end up shooting it and disliking the porting, then I can always buy a replacement barrel sans porting dow the line, but I think it might actually come in handy on such a lightweight .40cal pistol, and based on what I've seen, when fired at night the flash from the porting appears impressive/potentially intimidating, yet not at all blinding.

My only problem now is that all of my range ammo is CCI Blazer Brass, which has a warning printed on the box against shooting it out of ported barrels. I tried to buy a box of ammo at my LGS when I picked it up, but all they had in stock was Armscor ammo priced at $36 a box, so I had to pass. I didn't check, but I doubt that cheap Armscor ammo is any safer out of a ported barrel than CCI Blazer, and at $36 for a box of 50 rounds, forget it. It's a Performance Center model anyway, so odds are it's 100% reliable right out of the box, and I don't plan on carrying it right away anyhow because it's so cold that I can still easily carry my SW40VE without issue, which holds twice the ammo in the magazine.

Needless to say, I am most pleased with my purchase. I have been seeking a new lightweight subcompact carry gun for hot Summer days as well as concerns over the possibility that my state of residence may adopt restrictions on magazine capacity in the future, and this M&P40 Shield PC fits the bill quite nicely.

Attachments

• M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-2.jpg
    M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,969
  • M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-3.jpg
    M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
  • M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-4.jpg
    M&P40_Shield_1.0_PC-4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12

wild cat mccane

Warning is on shot shells too.

Ports COULD slice the jacket off and send it back at the shooter.

Vista says it on the CCI Blazer which is a lower cost jacket. It's possible on any though as the steel port would just a copper jacket.

Does it happen sure. Ever heard of it? no.

I would bet it is older Blazer though...

DMK

Nice! You'll really like that gun. The Shields are all great guns, and the PC treatment is icing on the cake. Honestly, aside from the grip texture, there isn't a hue difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 Shields. You got a bargain!

I have a 4" barreled 9mm PC Shield 2.0 and I love this gun. I also have two of the standard 9mm 1.0 Shields (I just got one back from Primary Machine getting a Holosun 507K installed). I'm a big fan of these little guns. :) I definitely want to pick one up in forty ess and doublya one day.

If you do want to try a new barrel for that, I believe you can get a 9mm conversion barrel for the .40s, so you'll have dual caliber capability. (Though, looking at your screen name, that might not be your bag :D )

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_130152966_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190921_130152966_HDR.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Forte S+W

I agree, the only real differences between the 1.0 and 2.0 Shields are the abbreviated forward slide serrations and grip texture, and seeing as I don't do press checks, (that's what the witness hole in the slide is for) nor do I care for the abrasive grip texture on the 2.0, it makes no difference to me. If the grip proves too slippery, then I'll buy a rubber grip sleeve for it.

As my username suggests, I'm really into .40, but I'll probably get a 9mm Conversion Barrel for it somewhere down the line for the sake of versatility. It's basically like having two guns in one, and a Conversion Barrel is about 1/3rd if not 1/4th the cost of a new 9mm, so why not? Heck, I'd get a .357 SIG barrel too, but I doubt that a lightweight subcompact pistol like the Shield would hold up very well to .357 SIG which goes well beyond 10mm, let alone .40 S&W/9mm in terms of peak operating pressure.