My new GAT, ROD, HEATER...

finfanatic

I stopped at a small town gun store yesterday on a work trip, and lo and behold, they had this very reasonably priced compared to some of the re-finished beat up, dinged high priced Colt Detective Specials I have seen at gunshows...

Colt-ds-left-lean-small.jpg

Colt-ds-right-small.jpg

Original finish, locked up tight, trigger was good, Colt grips, it had been fired some but not too much it looked like to me.

It had been handled alot though and had minor rust freckles that I think might polish out.

Serial No, is 861XXX which proofhouse.com says means 1965 manufacture?

For $325 OTD I think I got a good deal, but will know for sure after a trip to the range.

Glenn Dee

Real good deal

I looked at a 70% specimin yesterday in a local pawn/gun store.. $600.+

IMO a great price for a nice piece of history.

olyinaz

Outstanding find! That baby wouldn't last ten minutes in any case in any gun shop in Tucson at that price.

Oly

bob.a

You ripped off that roscoe. Oughtta be ashamed. Whn the guilts start keeping you up at night I'll take it off your hands.

jaybirdjtski

I keep telling my wife that good guns are better investments than you can get from some stockbroker. You just scored on that one! I'd suspect the grips alone would fetch 1/2 of what you paid.

s&wfan

help

well i know i have a s&w 32 long pistol it came in to my family in 1988 it was won in a poker game of all places and yes weve had it all checked out its not stolen but long story short i would like to know around what year it was made im gussing late 40s early 50s but thats just a guess the number on the butt of the gun is 194xxx i would be greatfull for any help

finfanatic

Range Trip Results

Took my new Colt to the range today. Set up the target at a shade over 7 yards. I mean, this thing has a barrel but not much of one, so I was not expecting much. Needless to say I was astounded.

Colt-ds-target1.jpg

Single action is deadly. Once I figured out the front sight, I actually hit a few bullseyes!!

Double action at as rapid as I could fire, the bullets went up and to the right, even with the anemic WWB .38 special range rounds.

Colt-ds-target2.jpg

But single action was a big surprise to me.

I shot the varmint target as fast as I could thumb back the hammer.

Colt-ds-target-closeup.jpg

Needless to say, I am VERY HAPPY with this new purchase. I have already turned down an offer of $400 for it. Do all the Colt DS's shoot this well??

I was planning on backing the target up to 15 yards but the range got crowded and I had other stuff to do. I will head back to the range with some snappier loads and see what happens.

BillCA

finfanatic,

Try shooting standard pressure .38 Special 158gr ammo. Both Colt and S&W regulated their sights using that load. That should be the most accurate. And yes, the D.S. snubbie can be quite accurate out to 15 yards - even 25 yards - if you practice with it. When I used to shoot in PPC matches, on a lark, a friend of mine used his DS, including the 50 yard line. He still scored a 560/600 (93.3%) with it. But then he knew how to shoot it well too.

s&wfan,
... i have a s&w 32 long pistol it came in to my family in 1988... i would like to know around what year it was made im gussing late 40s early 50s but thats just a guess the number on the butt of the gun is 194xxx ...
Your estimate is a little bit off. The S&W book says that serial number range was produced between 1910 and 1917, making yours .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 - 5th change. It should be a DA .32 Long revolver with a six shot fluted cylinder, built on the round-butt 5-screw I-Frame. Barrel lengths were 3¼, 4¼ or 6-inches. Most were stamped with a small S&W logo on the left frame, though a few were stamped on the sideplate.