My new custom 10/22 Project.

Twoface1911

Since i don't own a "black gun" Ive decided to start small. A 10/22!
Here as of current time is what im going to get. (With Links)

Any suggestions are welcomed and encouraged please give me an opinion of what you think.
-Ryan:D

SavageMOA

barrel- $220
stock- $200
muzzle brake- $40

total- $460

Seems a little expensive for a range toy! But, if you're looking for a cheap (as far as the cost of ammo) alternative to shooting an AR, I think you're headed in the right direction.

mbreitba

I'd stay away from the high capacity magazines - I've had nothing but trouble with every single one that I've tried - Stay with the rotary mags. You'll double your trouble when adding it to a tight-chambered heavy barrel.

Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ for all of your 10/22 needs - I've been a member there for years, and love their resources. Also - if you're shooting a 10/22 - don't be afraid to leave it looking like a 10/22 - I'll probably get bashed for this, but personally I don't care for having 4 picatinny rails or the overally "hey - I'm trying to look like an AR" look. Heck, even my AR doesn't look like the overloaded AR's that I see most people with.

I'd say for a sweet 10/22 range rifle, go with a Green Mountain barrel (I've heard nothing but great things about them - http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ ) and a Boyds stock and if you can afford it a KIDD trigger group. With that combination you'd have yourself a really great tack driver.

j.chappell

Are you kidding me? You have the initial cost of the 10/22 plus the following:

Rounded Figures

Barrel: $220
Stock: $200
Comp: $40
Mag: $36
Scope: $35

For a parts total of roughly $530. I find that absolutely crazy. Add that to your initial cost and I'm sure you'll have close to $750 into it. Well if that’s your thing but look at it this way for an extra $150 to $200 you could have had that AR you so wanted in your 10/22.

J.

j.chappell

Lets see $7 for 100 rounds or $30 for 50 hmm... tough choice.

Not until I joined this forum have I seen so many shooters decide what rifle they will buy based on the cost of ammunition.

Now you can build your Clone 10/22 AR if you choose. You will have a $700+ 10/22 that will be worth what you paid for the original rifle and yes you can shoot it all day cheaply. But if all you want to do is shoot cheaply why not leave it the way it is and take that $500+ and buy yourself 7200 rounds for your 22 and shoot for a very long time.

I am just glad that I haven’t and never will let ammunition cost deter me from buying what I really want. No one says you have to go ape **** like a lot of these guys do and blow through a few hundred rounds a week.

Just my ideas. Buy what you want man and instead of shooting 100's of rounds in an outing shoot a handful (not actually 5 rounds, or an actual handful) at a time and enjoy all of your firearms.

J.

bojack2575

J.Chappel has a very good point. If all you really want is to shoot cheap then go with the 10/22 and why modify it unless you just want the tacticool look.

j.chappell

J.Chappel has a very good point. If all you really want is to shoot cheap then go with the 10/22 and why modify it unless you just want the tacticool look.

Thank you.

Yeah if that’s what you want go right ahead, me, I'd save my money and get the AR you want.

I'm sure when a lot of these guys credit card bills start getting to be too much to handle you will be seeing a lot of them on the used racks.

J.

L_Killkenny

I can definitely understand people figuring ammo cost in their gun decision. It is only prudent to do so. In the life of almost any gun, ammo will cost you more than the purchase of the firearm. As a matter of fact, that's one of the best arguments for buying a quality gun. The gun is the cheap part of shooting in most cases.

That being said, I have NO ambition to own an AR for the sake of pinking and HD/SD doesn't even figure in the equation. I also have no time for tacticool 10/22's either:p.

But for the record, "if" I wanted a tacticool gun it would definetly be a rimfire!

CortJestir

Personally, I'm not into building Ruger AR-22's, but hey, if that's what you wanna do, I'm not gonna convince you otherwise. I think your parts list will make a mean looking 10/22.

I'd recommend you install a target/competition hammer from Volquartsen as well.

trigger treat

the most impressive 10/22 i've ever seen was one that was converted to look like an ak74u they make a drop in kit for them it costs about $350 but it's worth the money to make you're 10/22 look and feel like a krinkov

support_six

If I had that much extra money for the project, I'd just buy an AR. You know you want one, you mentioned it right off. Come on, just dive in!

Twoface1911

OK new strategy if i can have all the money by the end of June. I will be purchasing an AR-15 instead if not its this build with a couple of changes Ive found :p.

Skyyr

You can get an AR15 for $800 and a .22 conversion kit for $100. For roughly $350 more, why NOT? You'll never get your money back out of your .22 and, honestly, the only thing a tactical .22 is good for is... looking good.

SeekHer

My beef with having a $700 worked up 10.22 is that you could have bought an Anschutz bolt gun, scoped for around the same amount and not have had to do anything to it whatsoever! You could also have bought a Volquartsen keeping with the semi auto and looking like a 10/22 and again not had to do a thing!

You know why there is so many after market parts for the 10/22—because it damn well needs them…The only change I’ve ever made to all my 10/22s was a trigger job—either done by a good smith or a replacement trigger like a Kidd…Unless you get an air gauged, match tunes barrel, there isn’t any significant difference between the shrouded, aluminium fat barrels and the stock one…

shooter007

My dad’s friend has a similar setup. He has a bull pup with the receiver in the stock, you don't see many of them. Man that gun is a blast to shoot, but for around 1k for a 22 it better be! I saw one reply to stay away from the high capacity mags, but that’s what makes 22’s such a blast. Shooting the 22 with a ten round mag is just not for me. Just remember 22's are notorious for cycling problems no matter how much cash you spend. The problem from what I’ve found is the mags to loose tension. So I would invest in more than one mag!