My new CMP M1 came in

MacGille

When i ordered my M1 2 weeks ago I didn't expect to get a great looking rifle. I expected stock dings, parkerizing worn, crown worn, etc.

When I opened the box I was stunned. New stock, CMP stamp on bottom of pistol grip. All the finish looks new. No shiny areas at all, even under the operating handle. The bore is shiny and rifling looks as if it has never been fired. Crown is perfect.

Checked the serial number an #5888xxx was made in 1957 the last year Springfield made them. Unless this rifle has been rebuilt and rebarreled it looks as if it sat in a rack ever since the M14 replaced the M1 in 1957.

I can't account for the new stock unless the old one was damaged in shipping or something.

Any way, when the ammo i ordered gets here I will shoot it and give a range report.

sorry no pics yet.:):D:D:D

MacGille

They only had Field grade and Service grade. 100 more for Service grade, I am so glad I sprung the extra $100. My son has a field grade he got last year and mine is much nicer.

kraigwy

Everyone should get a Cmp M1 while they can. I got mine in the early 80s (for $112.70 counting shipping). I got it on a Thrusday, I was leaving Friday for a rifle match in Hawaii. I figured what the heck. I left my M1A home and took the M1. I had a bunch of 30 cal match ammo from the NG. Anyway my fist shot out of my M1 was the 200 yard sighters. Quicky got my 200 yard zerro (11 up and zerro wind on the windage marks). I didnt' win but my score was more then respectable for a service grade rifle.

In fact I was just going over some of my fathers stories, He had hunted water buffalo in the South Pacific during WWII with an M1. I always wondered about hunting with one. Turns out this season (starting this week) I'm taking my Grandaughte elk hunting. This would be the perfect chance. I loaded up some Mex Mat (pulled 173s out of some 30 match ammo and inserted 180 hornady interlocks), in case my GD muffed a shot I could follow up quickly. I checked the 180s, same sight settings as my match ammo.

I love the M1, granted its not the best hunting rifle I have, but I have to try it sometime.

I only hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Go to high power matches and give it credit. I've even shot 1000 yard matches with mine. It'll do the job if you give her a chance.

Logs

The only problem with buying a Garand from the CMP, is that you will want to buy more Garands from the CMP. :) I am up to four myself.

Tim R

I ordered a H&R "Correct" grade about 3 weeks ago. All I can say is the CMP is the only way to go. I have a rifle built in 1955, few stock dings and all the same parts it had when it left the factory. The barrel is a "LMR" which just totaly breaks my heart as the LMR is one of the better shooting GI barrels from what I understand. The bolt face is smooth and shiny.....no indication of firing off very many rounds. No wear in the bluing in the bolt channel inside the reciever. No wear marks on the op rod. No wear marks on the bottom of the barrel from the op rod.

I think the H&R will keep my Field grade, Service grade and match tuned 308 Springfields in good company.

Abndoc

Mine is a 1943 veteran, so some scuffs and dings are to be expected in making the world free and safe from tyranny.

Post some pics, already.

eastbank

when i was in viet nam i saw m1 garands and m1 carbines being issued to civilians in hamlets to defend themselfs,so when i was offered a 1944 m1 garand rebarreled and rebuilt in 8-1965 in a rebuild program, i grabbed it. the man who got it from the cmp did not want it as it was not a true world war-11 rifle any more,but to me it was and is a war rifle rebuilt for issue in the viet nam war(it was never issued as it looks unissued and unfired since it was rebuilt) but to me it has special meaning. eastbank.:)

Abndoc

Ammo up, Pops! Wednesday came one day early.

Still looking for pics. You don't do it soon, I'm going to show mine and tell everyone that it's yours. :D

3StrikesNC

The Garand is such a cool rifle. And +1 to the post where he said when you buy one from the CMP, you'll just want another.

I want another ....:eek:

zxcvbob

I just got a shipment confirmation today about the service-grade H&R that I ordered a little over a week ago. I had to call FedEx and put a hold on the package cuz I'm out of town until next week.

Less than 2 weeks! I never expected that. It'll be waiting for me at the depot when I get back. I'm excited.

bcarver

My cmp

I hope my cmp experiance goes that well. I foung a garand for 600 bucks and am mailing my first cmp ammo order today. I have heard anywhere from two weeks to two months.