My new build....with pics

TINCUP AL

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of my new 1911.
P1010159.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010164.jpg
[/IMG]

imdarren

That looks NICE!
I love the 1911's "old school" without the front slide serrations / groves.
Great choice on the mag's too. I live my Wilson's.
Nich photo work too!

D

CraigC

Nice, simple and elegant. The black rubber Hogue's don't look too bad on it either. If it were me, something in a dark wood would get the nod. Maybe smooth ebony, rosewood or cocobolo. ;)

OnTheFly

That's a real beauty. I've been thinking about building my own 1911. Just curious...

• How difficult was it to put together?
  • Where did you get the parts? Did you buy a kit or just piece it out from different sources?
I would also like to hear how it shoots and if you have any functional issues.

Fly

TINCUP AL

Thanks guys. So far, it shoots great. At first I had some feeding issues, but I have now got them worked out. It would feed 230 grain ball ammo just fine, but hollowpoints or RNFP would sometimes take a nosedive on the feed ramp. I slightly altered the angle on the feed ramp, and also on the bottom ramp portion of the barrel and now, no more problems. I have about three hundred rounds through it now without a single problem. I'll put a couple more hundred through it, and if no problems, then I'll consider it good. Accuracy is good with groups at 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 25 feet. I built it with an assortment of various parts.
-Caspian frame
-Colt slide
-Kart barrel
-Wilson beaver tail
-Wilson mainspring housing
-Bomar rear sights
-Dawson fiber optic front sight
-20 lpi checkered front strap
-20 lpi rear slide serrations
-Milled rib on top of slide
-Lowered and flared ejection port
-Misc. internal parts

I have built a few of these over the years, but what made this one special was that my 16 year old son got to watch and help out a little with the building. Now that it is done, he can't wait to shoot it in the next match. Thanks again.

TINCUP AL

CraigC- I agree about the grips. I just bought these to put on so I could shoot it right away and I also didn't have any more money for some "nice" grips. After it was done I decided that they didn't look too bad, so I just left them on. I really wanted to put some of the Carbon Creation black/grey carbon fiber grips on it, but that will have to wait until I have some more money !

Kreyzhorse

Accuracy is good with groups at 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 25 feet. I built it with an assortment of various parts.
-Caspian frame
-Colt slide
-Kart barrel
-Wilson beaver tail
-Wilson mainspring housing
-Bomar rear sights
-Dawson fiber optic front sight
-20 lpi checkered front strap
-20 lpi rear slide serrations
-Milled rib on top of slide
-Lowered and flared ejection port
-Misc. internal parts

Sounds like it will be a top of the line 1911. Just curious, if you don't mind, what did it cost to build? Ballpark number is fine.

TINCUP AL

I probably have around $350.00 in it, but I already had the frame, slide, and barrel. It is definately cheaper to just go buy one, but then you don't have the satifaction of knowing that you built it yourself.:)

Kreyzhorse

I probably have around $350.00 in it, but I already had the frame, slide, and barrel. It is definately cheaper to just go buy one, but then you don't have the satifaction of knowing that you built it yourself.

That's outstanding and very cool. I've dreamed up building one myself but my skills aren't any where near where they would need to be to build one.

Congrats on a nice looking and good shooting piece.

darrentxs

Looks great, like a no-nonsense 1911 to me. I like your choice of the Commander style hammer too. That's what I would have picked.

I think the grips are fine and match well with the matt finish. If it were blued I'd lean towards double diamond wood grips but for your gun I like the Hogues. Great job!

Regards,

Darren