My new brass deflector deforms my casing necks....is this ok? *Pix*

Lavid2002

DSCF2359.jpg

See, the deflector works, and makes a nice little brass pile, but it deforms the necks. I reload my brass. My initial impression is that the expander/resizer will pop that little baby back into place, but I dont know if this will over-work the brass. Perhaps I should place something on the deflector to cushion the blow so they dont get dented. Has anyone else had this happen to them? What do you do? Thanks!

-Dave

Skans

I'd try it and see how the bullet seats. If it works, and feeds, I wouldn't think twice about it. I doubt seriously that the neck is going to split on you. if it does, then try something else. Like I said in another post, I used to reload 22-250 pretty hot, and no slight deformity to the brass caused necks to split. I had to do something really stupid like use the brass too many times or not size the case properly and try to "make it fit" into the chamber of a bolt actioned rifle by cranking down on the bolt handle.

nbkky71

That's pretty common with the TC-Accessories case deflector. Almost all my brass came out that way when I used mine. Try taping a thin layer of foam onto the rear plate to cushion the impact.... worked for me.

dodge

I've bought brand new bulk cases that will sometimes have the neck dented like that. All I ever do is run it through my sizing die and it pops right out. The only time I loose one is when I load them one too many times and the neck will split. One question for you is how many times has this brass been reloaded? With reasonable used brass( 1 to about 5 times) there shouldn't be any problems.

cornbush

As others have siad, no problem. As long as the expander ball in the decapping/ sizing die will go in the case your good.

DaveInPA

The die will take care of that. 4 times is the max I've set for myself on .223/5.56 though. I'd be tossing it in the scrap bucket anyway.

Lavid2002

get an e& l brass catcher
I have a brass catcher and its a pita. some misses the net, some get so hot they stick to the nylon webbing in the net, and some bounce back in the gun causing a failure....not worth it. This thing does its job I think. I like it : P

Hummer70

Go to Home Depot and get a pack of Velcro Sticky Backs for about 4.00. Stop by a airconditioning place and scrounge a piece of Armaflex insulation. This is the stuff they wrap HVAC lines in, smooth on outside. Cut a small pieces of Armaflex and stick one side of the Velcro to it and the other piece inside the TC deflector. Cases will eject, strike the soft Armaflex and fall to the ground and look like they came out of a bolt gun.
I have seen some Armaflex that is flat with adhesive back but don't know where to get it off hand.
Note: there is enough of the Velcro Sticky Backs to do 12 rifles so one pack will do you and your younguns for years.