My new baby

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
I really should know better than to hit the pawnshops on payday.

I've been looking for something in .223Rem. AR-15 is of course my first choice, but a Mini-14 would be cheaper.

Well, after cashing my check Weds. morning, I stopped at my favorite pawnshop to see what I could see. Asked the clerk what he had in .223...

"Only .223 I have is a Bushmaster," sez he.

:eek:

"Can I see it?"

He reached back into the rack, pulled out a Shorty, dropped the 10-rd mag, checked the chamber, and handed it to me.

First thing I looked at was the price tag. $900.

:eek:

I looked it over from bow to stern and was *highly* impressed.

"Does it just come with the one 10-rounder?" I asked. "Yeah, that's all the guy had for it."

"Will you take $750, since it just has the one lame mag?"

He thought about it and said, "$775?"

15 minutes later, I walked out with a 99% Bushie, the original case, sling (never installed), and manual, 2 boxes of ammo (IMI), a 40-round mag... and a :D on my face.

Cut to Thursday evening (last night). I stripped the Shorty, looking for wear marks prefatory to a quick hack-n-slash with the Dremel.

None. Not on the bolt carrier rails, bolt rear tube, cam pin, feed ramps... no wear marks at all. Only odd thing I noticed was the gaps in the gas rings were all at the top, instead of staggered.

:confused:

I reassembled it with no problems, realigning the rings. However, upon closing the bolt, a distinct smell of burnt powder became apparent.

So what I'm thinking is this: the original owner was a non-gun-geek who bought it for Y2K, fired a couple of shots and had problems with the bolt short-stroking. Instead of R-ing TFM or returning it, he sold it at a huge loss.

*His* loss, anyway. And my gain.

------------------
http://pub6.ezboard.com/blibertarian

DorGunR

Coinneach
I've been a good boy, try to live right, try to do the right thing, etc, etc. ;)

Sooooo......why don't I EVER and I mean EVER find a deal like that?

Congrats on your new toy and good shooting. :)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Kevinw

Hey man Long time no see.
Great Gun you have there.. Very good deal on it also. As for the small I will tell you this. I recived a dissapator Upper about a month ago. When I opened the bolt I could smell burnt powder. They fired it at the factory. THen when I sent it back for some work I could tell it had been fired again. From the condition you say it is in I would venture to guess that you are smelling the factory rounds that they fired.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
I've been a good boy, try to live right, try to do the right thing, etc, etc.

Sooooo......why don't I EVER and I mean EVER find a deal like that?

My friend, you just answered your own question.
devil.gif