My New Auto-Ordnance 1911A1

nate45

...and I mean new. A couple of months ago I put it on my wish list at Bud's Gun Shop well about three weeks ago they got them back in stock. So here it is a new 2010 Auto-Ordnance 1911A1.

I've been reading about them and thinking about getting one for two, or three years. I just now got around to it.

First off let me say that its like Kahr read every article about them, over the last ten years and corrected every complaint anyone had.

The only fault I can find with it, is a tiny bit of creep, in a slightly hard trigger pull. However, it is begining to smooth up as I fire it. As to function, so far a 150 rounds of WWB 230 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of S&B 230 grain FMJ and zero malfunctions. Zero! I really can't believe it, not a FTF, Stove Pipe, nothing. Well, I have so far only used FMJ, the feed ramp is polished and the extractor properly tensioned. All that way from the factory, I might add. Still, no malfunctions was certainly a pleasant suprise. All, in all Kahr did a nice job on the example I have.

Today I'm going to try and fire another 100 rounds of FMJ and 50 HP. I'll report back later today.

PictureorVideo112-1.jpg

Shes ready for War

Compared to my SA Mil-Spec.jpg
Close-up.jpg

Last edited:

Chris_B

Congrats on the pistol

People who like the A-O 1911A1 are few and far between. I'm one. It was my first 1911 type pistol, a Worcester MA pistol. It's been flaky, FTF etc until I bought a good magazine, and since then, no trouble except that the frontsight works loose

I'm sending mine to a 'smith for reliability check-up and possible work, just to make sure it's running right now. It's not the most accurate one I have but I like it a lot. I put a USGI trigger from the '40s in mine and shockingly it really was drop-in

m1911A1.jpg

Jim243

Nate, welcome to the 1911 club. Both yours and chris's are good looking guns.

The only problem is that once you have a 1911, one is not enough and all other guns are just not the same. I don't know if it's something in our DNA or just because we are from the USA. But there is something about a 1911 that just feels right and shoots right.

Congrats and welcome.
Jim

KyJim

Congrats on the purchase. The Kahrs are one of the closest looking 1911s to the old GI models at a reasonable price.

nate45

PictureorVideo117-1.jpg

Three stings of 7 rounds each @ 7 yards. Fastest time 2.17 sec, slowest 2.83 seconds. Start position was low ready. Ammo was WWB 230 grain FMJ.

In total I fired another 64 rounds through it today 50 WWB 230 grain FMJ and 14 rounds of 230 grain Remington Golden Saber. Again no malfunctions. Either Kahr is getting a lot better since some of the older reports I've read, or I just got lucky. Either way I'm happy. :)

The Kahrs are one of the closest looking 1911s to the old GI models at a reasonable price.

I used my SA Mil-Spec as a comparison. I did not think it would be fair to compare it with my higher end 1911s. The Kahr is not quite as nice as a SA Mil-Spec. The trigger on the SA is quite a bit better and fit and finish is only slightly better. However, as far as being the closest to true 'Mil-Spec' the Kahr wins hands down. I realize the Mil-Spec is enhanced, but even compared to my freinds GI model SA, the Auto-Ordnance is much closer to the original. As KYJim noted, the price is very reasonable as well. All, in all if my example is representative of the norm, I will not hesitate to recommend them.

PictureorVideo102.jpg

I put a USGI trigger from the '40s in mine and shockingly it really was drop-in

I'm planning on putting a long trigger and flat main spring housing on my Mil-Spec; so I was going put its trigger i. my Auto-Ordnance. By the way, where did you get the GI trigger? I can't seem to locate one on the net.

Last edited:

nate45

I bought a good magazine, and since then, no trouble except that the frontsight works loose

On top is the magazine that was supplied by Kahr. It has an odd base plate and I'm not sure what brand it is. Anyone recognize the symbol? So far it has worked well.
PictureorVideo122.jpg

Below is the Kahr supplied mag follower.
PictureorVideo125.jpg

So far my front sight has remained secure.

THORN74

NATE

ur top mag is made by Metalform they are the OEM mag maker for colt. so generally they are pretty good mags. i have 3 with welded bases, they preform pretty well.

lwfiredog

I too have a Kahr 1911a1 and I absolutly love it. Never had a FTF or FTE.

Attachments

• kahr jpg.jpg
    kahr jpg.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 47

nate45

ur top mag is made by Metalform they are the OEM mag maker for colt.

Okay, thanks. Mine has worked well so far. I had read somewhere that the magazine supplied buy Kahr was not that great. Like I say it seems to work well. Too bad they did not give me two of them. :(

I too have a Kahr 1911a1 and I absolutly love it. Never had a FTF or FTE.

Well, thats good to hear. Just more confirmation that the Auto-Ordnance is a good performer. Nice pic you posted. :)

How do they do with hollow points?

I've only fired 14 HP rounds through it so far. They were 230 grain Rem Golden Sabers. None of them failed to feed. Next time I shoot I'm going to give it a harder test, my hand loaded 200 grain SWC. If it will feed them, it will probably feed most HP as well.