My new addition to the possibles bag.

deerslayer303

My brother just gave me this hand made knife, he found the antler. Guess what the blade is made of. The thing has a serious edge?
225d24293e5b4e68dd12865d115d512f.jpg

Pahoo

Nice addition.

Slayer,
How long is it and will this be your designated "patch" knife. That is an interesting logo on the blade. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

deerslayer303

Nice Hawg! I'm gonna have to try my hand at knife making one of these days. I hear you can use files, leaf springs, sawzall blades. And now you inform me of the circular saw blades. ;)

Pahoo

You definitely have gortten the "Bug"

Nice Hawg! I'm gonna have to try my hand at knife making one of these days.
Slayer,
There are many good sources of steel for making knives. In addition to the ones you listed, I know a fella who make them out of old "Discs", the ones that farmers use to disc their land. I have also made Bowie knives out of "bed-frames". When ready, go over to the Knife Forum, you will find a bunch of good info. .. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!!

Hawg

When you can find them the big circle saws and gang saw blades used by sawmills make dandy knives or you can rework existing knives like this old hickory butcher knife.

Or even railroad spikes.

Hawg

Wow great info guys!! That railroad spike knife is the beez knees

That was made for me by an old time blacksmith that uses nothing but primitive tools he makes himself.

deerslayer303

That's pretty neat Hawg, I would love to watch someone do that the old way.
Gary, I have no idea how he did the logo, but I will find out.

Texas Reb

The logo was probably etched. It doesn't look like it was stamped, although I can't make it out too well. Since he is a primitive maker, my guess is that he used wax and some type of acid, but I'm just guessing

jimbob86

It's made from a file- probably by stock removal ..... take care- files are made of pretty brittle steel. Don't go trying to drive it through a deer's pelvis with a hatchet .....

I've made a few this way. The tool steel use in files also rusts very easily, so keep 'em clean and oiled, too.

deerslayer303

Thanks for the tip JimBob, This knife will be cutting pillow ticking, and may double on occasion as a skinning knife. I put a light coat of BP lube on the blade when I got it home.

bedbugbilly

Great looking knives - all of them!

Hawg - I ran across a guy out here in AZ one winter who made knives out of railroad spikes - they were beautiful. Admire a man who can do that work.

If any of you are making your own - I purchased a great knife from the same guy - he used the blade of an old fashioned "sheep shear" - the hand held sissors action type. The blade sort of has a curve "hollow ground" like to the blade but it is super sharp! He used a stag handle capped with a piece of bison horn. He left the U shaped extension that attaches to the rear back of the blade on it and cut it off about three inches from the back of the blade - then drilled the stag handle and cemented in. He said he has made lots of steak knife sets out of the same thing. Good steel and really holds an edge.

you guys are going to make me take pictures of a couple of ours...

FIL made 2 from a 24" farm belt saw that he kept the saw tooth as a point ( just so you could tell what it was made from ) then used 2 ham bones with the knuckles left on, that fit in the hand perfectly, & epoxied them to the blades... he gave away one at a black powder shoot blanket match, & kept one, that we kept in the family...

also MRS. bought me a really nice custom made screw-knife that I keep around my neck, when I'm shooting CAS... 3" damaskus blade antler handles with silver inlaid bolsters... I'm not much a knife guy, but can't help but appreciate a well made & functional knife :)

my understanding is old files make excellent knife blades...