My New 9mm Scandium Snubby w/Pics & Range Report

WC145

I've always had a place in my heart for lightweight snubbies and IMO, nothing beats a snubnose revolver for a BUG or "get off me" gun because they will function under the worst conditions. I've been happy with the P3AT I've carried as a BUG for a few years now, but I'm also acutely aware that if I had to use it in a hands-on situation I'd probably get only one shot out of it. The chances of it going out of battery (when shoved up against someone) or being limp wristed while scuffling are too great to expect proper function. On the other hand, you can stick a revolver in someone's gut and know that you'll get 5 rds off as long as you can pull the trigger.

Keeping all of that in mind and plus the fact that I'm not a fan of the .38spl and I think that the .357mag is just crazy out of a 12oz gun AND that over the last year I've been consolidating calibers (9mm) and handgun operating systems (DAO), I've been in the market for a 9mm snubby. Apparently they're about as rare as hen's teeth these days because I've only found one and it was waaaayyy over priced for a Taurus. Plus all the ones that have been made (Taurus 905, S&W 940, S&W 547) are all quite heavy for their size. So, as it turned out the reason I was having such trouble finding one was that the gun I wanted hadn't been made.

I had read about 9mm conversions so I started looking at what was available but while the aluminum frame guns were fairly light I was concerned about strength issues. The steel framed guns were certainly strong enough (think S&W 940) but heavy. Finally, the scandium framed guns were really light and really strong but also REALLY expensive just to buy one for a project. My luck finally changed when Bud's Gun Shop offered a scandium Chief's Special (.38spl +p) with a carbon steel cylinder for $409 ($426 with 3% CC premium and shipping insurance). It had everything I needed - lightweight (13.3ozs), strength, and a good price.

I ordered the gun and had it about 2 weeks before I sent it to Mark Hartshorne, owner of Pinnacle High Performance (www.pinnacle-guns.com), to be reworked. I fired about 50 rounds through it before sending it to check function and accuracy so I could make a comparison when I got it back. It was typical of the breed - at 10 yds it shot to point of aim with 158gr wadcutters and a couple of inches low with lighter weight +P hollow points. Recoil was manageable with the factory boot grips, easy with light loads and sharper with the +P's. Off a rest I was keeping 5 shot groups in a couple of inches shooting single action. Aside from a rough, heavy trigger pull and a machining burr at the edge of the forcing cone the gun would be perfectly serviceable as it came from the factory. This is what it looked like:
160360_large.jpg

I sent the gun to Mark with the following list of requests:
a. Rechamber to 9mm and cut cylinder face for moonclips, chamfer holes
b. Action job
c. Replace front sight with a low profile fiber optic sight
d. Bob the hammer so that it wouldn't snag but leave enough so I could still cock it
e. Smooth and polish trigger
f. Chamfer the forcing cone to clean up the burrs

Mark assured me he could do the job and had done similar work on other guns. I had seen some photos of work he'd done so I felt pretty good about it although I'd never had any kind of custom work done on a gun before so I was still kind of nervous. Especially since I'd just dropped $400+ on the new gun!! It felt like I was sending my new car to get the engine swapped! Anyway, Mark was super to work with. He was more than willing to take the time to talk to me about exactly what I wanted and really went went the extra mile to take care of me. He gave me a ball park figure for the work and was spot on by the time it was done. The total for the job came to $421, including return shipping.

The last thing the gun would need was a set of laser grips so while the gun was gone I ordered a set of Crimson Trace LG-105 grips off of eBay for $158 shipped.

Final tally $1005 and I am absolutely ecstatic!! Mark's work is flawless, the cylinder work looks like it came from the factory that way, the action is smooth as butter - DA is heavy enough to be safe and the SA is unreal, about a pound and you can't say it is clean or crisp or anything else because you can't feel anything!! Press the trigger and it fires, you can't feel it move! The best I've ever felt. The bob job is smooth and clean and the trigger has been nicely rounded and has a mirror polish. Obviously Mark Hartshorne and Pinnacle performance gets two thumbs waaayy up from me!

I have not had the chance to shoot for groups yet but I did shoot some silhouettes and steel targets with the original grips on it and it seems to shoot spot on. Recoil was mild with 115gr ball, which is all I've shot so far. I will try to get out later today (it's raining now) and I will update this thread with a range report in case anyone is interested.

So, here it is, at long last, the gun I wanted that S&W won't build:
gun1.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun4.jpg

gun5.jpg

gun6.jpg

Range Report
I got out back yesterday and put about 70rds through my new S&W "369" 9mm snubby. I'm very pleased with the way it shoots, recoil is very mild even with +P ammo, similar to that of my Kahr CW9. Recoil is definitely less than when I shot it with Speer GD 135 gr +P and Federal Hydra-shock +P .38spls before I sent it to have the work done. I fired a mix of Remington and Magtech 115gr FMJ and Magtech 115gr +P HP. The +P 9mm is rated about 300fps faster than the +P .38 spls.

The Crimson Trace grips are very comfortable and fit my hand well. They are hard polymer with stippling on the sides for a secure grip but don't hang up or drag on clothing. The laser is a wonderful thing, it's nice to know that even if I can't get the gun up to line up the sites I can still put rounds on target.

The moonclips are great! The gun is very fast to reload, the combination of the chamfered cylinder holes and the shape of the 9mm bullets make it easy to drop them right in. Much easier than using a regular speed loader with .38's since you don't have to fiddle so much with lining up the rounds and then turning the knob to release them. Also, because the cases are so short and attached to the moonclip it just takes a slight push on the ejector rod to pop them out completely. I've read that the old S&W 940 had issues with empties sticking in the cylinder but I haven't experienced that. The gunsmith said that when he does these conversions he cuts the cylinder to 9x23 and that alleviates the sticking problem.

I shot it at 10yds, off-hand and from a rest, and at 7 and 3yds off-hand and from the holster. Accuracy is on par with what I got out of it shooting .38's, although it does shoot a little low but I expected that with the higher velocity rounds. Shooting single action from a rest I was getting 5 shots in 3-4" using the sights, once I got the laser sighted in and used it in conjunction with the sights I was able to get 5rds in 2-3" consistently. Of course, the closer I got to the target the smaller the groups got. It is very easy to shoot fast, I was able to empty the gun in about 3 seconds and keep all 5rds in a group about the size of a tennis ball at 3yds. The action is butter smooth and the double action pull is probably 2-3 pounds lighter than it was originally, the single action pull is incredibly light and clean. Certainly the best I've ever felt.

So, in conclusion, I couldn't be happier with the gun. It is everything I'd hoped it would be and Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance did an amazing job. I'll definitely be using his services in the future.

nutty ned

Very nice looking.
I've shot 9mm revolvers and for close in they are great, once you figure point of aim or adj the rear sight if adjustable.

dchi

Really nice. Man those cylinder walls look awfully thin. Can you chronograph some loads? I wonder if you lose anything by shooting .355 bullets out of a .357 bore?

Kreyzhorse

Really nice. Man those cylinder walls look awfully thin.

Thought so too.

Anyway, would love to see a chrono report on this gun. If you run it through one, please post an update.

Congrats on your one of a kind S&W.

WC145

I do not own a chronograph but I'm going to see if I can borrow one and get some velocities for different factory ammo. If I can I will post the results.

I know the cylinder walls look thin but they are the same thickness as the .357mag cylinders. I spoke to S&W to try and get an idea of what I could expect for strength and according to them the frame is the same one used for the M&P360, which is chambered for .357mag, and the cylinder is cut from the same blank they would cut a .357mag cylinder from, just reamed to fit the .38spl. The conversion takes very little metal out of the cylinders, just enought to accommodate the taper of the 9mm and the case length of the 9x23 so, I don't anticipate any strength issues.

Don P

Got a question

I know the cylinder walls look thin but they are the same thickness as the .357mag cylinders. I spoke to S&W to try and get an idea of what I could expect for strength and according to them the frame is the same one used for the M&P360, which is chambered for .357mag, and the cylinder is cut from the same blank they would cut a .357mag cylinder from, just reamed to fit the .38spl. The conversion takes very little metal out of the cylinders, just enought to accommodate the taper of the 9mm and the case length of the 9x23 so, I don't anticipate any strength issues

I'm a bit baffled here,:confused: the 38spl and 357mag are the same diameter:eek:. Why did the cylinder have to be reamed.:confused: The 357mag is just a longer case in comparison:eek:. You also jumped from cylinder strenght to frame strenght. As they say it's your money to spend as you please. Personaly I would have searched for a production 9mm revolver.:cool:

Smaug

I don't know offhand, but 9mm cases may be wider towards the head than 38 & 357. (which are straight walled, instead of tapered)

You're right, that 38 & 357 are both the same size. I think he meant reaming for 9mm. (since it is tapered where the 38/357 isn't)

Did he re-barrel it to accomodate the smaller bullets? (.355 vs. .358) It seems like they'd be wobbling out of the barrel by the time they left. I'd be most worried about that and the big jump from the case to the forcing cone.

I'm sure the smith took this all into account.

I have to give WC credit for knowing exactly what he wanted and going for it, instead of spending the money on 2 other guns.

I probably would have looked for an SP-101 in 9mm and just paying the extra, or buying a 38 SP-101 and sending it to Ruger for conversion. But then it wouldn't be so small & light.

WC145

I'm a bit baffled here, the 38spl and 357mag are the same diameter. Why did the cylinder have to be reamed. The 357mag is just a longer case in comparison. You also jumped from cylinder strenght to frame strenght. As they say it's your money to spend as you please. Personaly I would have searched for a production 9mm revolver.

The cylinder had to be reamed to accomodate the 9mm case which is tapered, the lower half of the case is slightly larger in diameter that a .38spl or .357 case.

My point about cylinder strength was that the cylinder blanks are the same for either the .38spl +P or .357 mag guns, they are just cut differently at the S&W factory, so, if the steel is strong enough to handle .357mag pressures, it's plenty strong to handle 9mm pressures. My point on frame strength was the same. The frame is the same as used for the M&P360 .357mag and, again, more than strong enough for the 9mm.

I did look at all of the production snubnose 9mm revolvers - S&W 940, S&W 547, Taurus 905, Ruger SP101 - and none of them met all my desires, the biggest difference being weight. My gun weighs less than 13oz empty, the 940 was 23oz, the 547 was heavier than that, the 905 was (IIR) 22.2oz, and the SP101 was 25.5oz and had a larger frame. Of course price and quality were factors as well. The S&W's have been out of production for years and prices average well over $500 for older, used guns, and Taurus quality, while better in recent years is not up to par with new S&W guns. So, like I said in my text, since the gun I wanted wasn't being made, I had it done myself.

Socrates

I'll wait and see how your forcing cone holds up to 9mm, light bullets. Does the gun have the same warning the 360 does,
"No less then 120 grain bullet" ? on the barrel?

GunRus

Pretty neat conversion. I'm pretty happy though, firing Buffalo Bore short barrel 357's out of my 340PD.

Sgt.Fathead

No comparison but I passed on a 9mm Ruger SP101 and I'm mad about it now! Sweet piece, enjoy it and shoot it in good health.

as the owner of an Air Weight 32 H&R Magnum, & a Air Lite 44 Special, I can attest to how nice they are to carry... my 44 special is on my hip 99% of the time, even though I have other carry options like a CZ75 Compact & Witness 10mm, the light weight revolver has become my every day gun...

the shorter cartridge in the moon clips should make a very pracitical package... since this isn't a target grade gun, I wouldn't worry about the 9mm diameter, it aught to be plenty accurate for 5 yards ( close contact encounter ) might want to test to find the most effective ( opening ) hollow point out of your gun... some may not open at snubbie velocities... not only the short barrel to consider, but you'll also have some loss to the barrel / cylinder gap, over a short barreled auto... I use Speer Gold Dots in mine, & have been getting at least marginal opening of the hollow point.

while not a big lazer fan, you did keep the sights ( even added the fiber optic front ( which my 44 also has )), & a buddy of mine has a similar gun in 38 with the CT lazer grips, & I find I must admit that while I like my shaped lami grips, & wouldn't trade them for a lazer ( personal opinion ), the lazer is a ver nice addiditional feature...

all in all, I'd say you came up with a very practical close combat revolver... very nice indeed...:cool:

WC145

Magnum Wheel Man-
Thanks for the compliments. I'm really happy with the gun. I was after a lightweight, works all the time, "get-the-f**k-off-me" gun in the same caliber as my other carry guns and I feel like I met those goals. I'm happy with the accuracy, although I've only shot it out to 10yds, it is more than adequate for the job. The laser makes a big difference when it comes to putting rounds on target fast and, since this is primarily a BUG, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to use it things will have gotten very ugly and being able to hit a target without having to use the sights is important to me.

I've always wanted a S&W 296 .44spl but when they've gotten pricey, still keeping an eye out for a deal though. I have a Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl that is currently out to a local gunsmith getting an action job, a new front sight, and some cleaning up.