My new 9mm ... a $367 jewel

dawgfvr

My newest purchase...a Stoeger Cougar ala Beretta Cougar made in Turkey that is one incredible buy. I wanted something in 9mm...a plinking gun that would digest ammo a bit more inexpensive than my .45 ACP or .357 mag...and walla, I found this gem:

StoegerCougar1.jpg

I replaced the plastic grips with some inexpensive ($40) Hogue wood grips...they feel nice and improve the look...eh? Pistol comes with two 15 round mags (made in Italy).

StoegerCougar2.jpg

Without a doubt, this was the easiest field strip I've ever experienced on the weapon. All metal weapon with the exception of the poly guide rod and magazine ejection button. I think I got a ferrari at the price of a chevy!

StoegerCourgar3.jpg

Not exactly small...not really large. Smaller than a 1911 though. Here is a size comparison to my three inch GP100.

I shall take it to the range on the next good weather day and post a detailed range report with photos. This might just turn into a carry weapon rather than a fun gun.

Deegle

Congrats on your Cougar. I have one too and love it. It is my under the bed gun and I have complete faith in it. It is accurate and fun to shoot as well. So it goes to the range with me every time I go. I picked mine up soon after they first came out. I got it for $329, and the price keeps going up as demand has seemed to increase. In fact, right after I bought mine, they gun store raise the price. The guy told me they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

dawgfvr

The grips on the GP100 are Badger grips...customized to fit my small hands. Actually, the whole revovler was customized by gemini customs to include moon clips and hybra-ported.

GP1004.jpg

I have a penchant for out of the way weapons...and the Stoeger fits right into my stable.

Dave85

Congrats! That has absolutely got to be the best deal in handguns right now, period. And nice grips!

The Cougar uses interesting operation mechanics. Rotating bbl. unlocking tech. and whatnot, from what I semi-understand/remember. Definately look forward to your range report; +/- 350. NIB good quality, dependable handguns are a niche needing filled these days, a good alt. to Sigmas would be nice. I checked out a Beretta when they were new and I was about to turn 18 (not knowing I'd have to be 21), thought it was way too wide/fat. Makes a USP look like a Remington 51. But for HD or someone with the build for it to CCW, who cares?
PS- That GP is awesome

ShootingNut

Dawg

Did you find the Hogue wood grips, to "fatten" the grip any?
I also have the Stoeger Cougar, and have been thinking of going with the wood grips (checkered), but don't want the grips any thicker for my hands.
Nice gun, great price, you will enjoy it.
Regards
SN

Deegle

Gp100

Wow, I didn't even see your Ruger, I was so enamored with your Cougar. That is a sweet revolver! Love the grips.

dawgfvr

Shootingnut: The wood grips might have added a "smidgeon" of width...but nothing major. To begin with, the pistol does have a thick grip due to 15 round double stack magazine... Me...I have small hands but it does not seem to be too much of a problem because, on this weapon, note how you can "choke up" on the grip...seems much more comfortable because of the higher hand/grip placement due to firing mechanics and the trigger is very easy to reach: "the breech end of the rotary barrel does not move up and down during the action cycle, as all tilt-lock barrels must. This means the Cougar's frame design can be more compact and less deep, and it puts the grip higher and thus in more direct alignment with the axis of the barrel. The result is improved pointability and notably less muzzle flip and perceived recoil."

Note the Coug's higher grip and hadling ergo on the below pic:

Coug1911.jpg

Last edited: