My new .45 ACP OR Try before you buy!

Mike Kilo Niner

I've been shopping around for a pistol chambered in .45 ACP for quite a while now, and was quite impressed with the various 1911 clones out there. The grip felt nice, the triggers ranged from "hmm, not bad" to "how have I lived this long without a trigger this nice?!" But nowhere I went had an attached shooting range -- until today.

I rented a couple of 1911-style pistols (stock GI, Kimber full size with beavertail) and a Sig P220 for comparison (my first handgun being a Sig P228). Those slim steel and aluminum pistols that pointed so nicely in the shop, looked so wonderful in the case, and in all other ways made me drool with avarice were absolutely NOT comfortable in the hand under recoil for me. They were as accurate as advertised, and had much to recommend them, but when I fired the P220 it was perfect. Somewhat more recoil than my beloved 9mm, but not bad at all. Trigger was surprisingly nice, bar-dot sights as I've grown fond of. Perfection... for me.

That, I suppose, is the point of this meandering ramble that vaguely resembles a story. The moral, oft repeated on these forums: whenever possible, try a pistol out before you buy it. Reading about it, even holding it in a shop are insufficient to determine that elusive balance of ergonomics, weight, caliber, etc. that really makes a gun suited to you.

Good shooting everyone, and thanks for all you advice (recently, and in the past -- thanks to the ever-handy search feature)!

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Congratulation's-

Always good to hear good report's on my beloved
Sig-Sauer P220's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

C.R.Sam

The first time I shot a P220, it came to hand when my own gun went dry. Amazingly, it liked me from the first shot on. It wouldn't miss.

Not at all bad, for an autoloader.

Sam

harrydog

I don't know if any of you have shot both the HK USP45F and the P220, but if you have, I'd love to hear your impressions of the differences. You see, I want to buy a P220 (ST) in the worst way, but it is impossible for me to try one, at least in my area. My only other .45 is a USP so I have that as a reference point.

Mike Kilo Niner

harrydog,

I've shot both, and I much prefer the single-stack P220 (especially since putting on a pair of Hogue grips and reversing the magazine release). The USP is a very nice pistol, but in .45 it seemed large and square in the grip. Under recoil it seemed snappier, no doubt due to my less comfortable hold.

Those stainless P220s are choice, but hard to find around here from what I hear (GA). If anything, the all steel frame should make recoil even less of an issue with the P220. Again, go rent them both if you can, or take a friend out shooting who owns one or both -- subjective feel really makes a difference.

VVG

>>> I rented a couple of 1911-style pistols (stock GI, Kimber full size with beavertail) and a Sig P220 for comparison

That's not really fair, almost everyone who fires a P220 wants to buy one, it seems.

VonFatman

MKN,
I shot mine last night at the range...what a great gun. When I purchased it (new in 7/2000) I had just enough "creep" in the trigger to be a little unhappy. A friend suggested I send it to Sig...he said they will tune out some of the creep and adjust the trigger a bit if you just call and make a gentle complaint/comment and request a R.G.A. # (returned goods authorization).
I packed mine up in the case it came...inside another box...sent it to the factory...
Be sure to address it to "Customer Service RGA # XXXX" and NOT to Sigarms. It safer, keeps the thieves off guard.
Anyway, the gun comes back with an unbelievable trigger. FREE.
I then did the same thing with my 226 9mm. I got the same results. Sig has terrific customer service!
I suggest you consider this...I also know of a couple guys who did the same with used Sigs...they say they were treated the same as I was.
Sigarms ROCKS!
Oh, and I am still amazed at how darn accurate their guns are!
VF

Mike Kilo Niner

VonFatman,

No joke? That's a great idea! How long did it take them to get it back to you? My P228 was a little gritty for the first couple of hundred rounds, but really smoothed out nicely. Thus far I'm pretty pleased with the P220's trigger. Thanks for the tip, though.

VonFatman

MKN,
The one was back fast, two weeks maybe two and a half.
The other was a month and a half. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I agree with you, the triggers are pretty nice from the factory...but when they finished with them...I could not believe how much of an improvement it was.
VF

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Sig Classic "P" series self-loader's-

Good stuff. Excellent choice.

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.