My new 36

TinyDee

Just traded for a model 36 and it looks fine. Diamond grips, I think made about 1975 or so. It looks mint. No box and should I get one? Is it gold or what?

Dragline45

Congrats, the older model 36 and 60's are great guns. As far as getting an original box for it, unless you are a serious collector, or this gun will be put away as a safe queen and never be shot, I wouldn't bother. You can spend some pretty good money on an original box and tools. I can totally understand why some people like having the original box and all that, but to me personally it doesn't matter.

By the way, did you ask the fellow you got it from if he has the box? Also if you are interested in the exact date for your gun, there is a Sticky on the top page of the revolver forum where you can post your serial number. Alot of members here have the S&W books that can identify exactly when your gun was made.

Winchester_73

Diamond grips were discontinued long before 1975. They were gone by about 1968. Post the SN? Its probably earlier than 1975 unless of course someone put older grips on it as replacements. Does it have a flat latch or the standard?

Gold boxes were discontinued in the 1950s and were never for J frame guns. AFAIK only K or N frame guns had the gold boxes. The right box for your gun would be a standard blue box with grey trim, like this one:

s41065boxM38%20(1).jpg