My new 3 inch Model 10

Elerius

I've had this for about a month, but wanted to wait until I had the better grips for it. Model 10-8, circa 1982, factory nickel plated, 3 inch barrel. Came with magna grips, the ones pictured are Hogue checkered Rosewood. Took me about a month to get them, and I'm waiting on a set of Spegel Cocobolo extended boot grips but the wait is 6 months and I've got 4 more to go. The Hogues and the holster, TTGunleather High Ride Pancake, got here at the same time so I've been trying it out carrying.

Originally I had bid on a NIB blue M13, though I don't carry .357 so I wanted a M64 (not the easiest to find in nice condition with 3 inch barrels) or a Model 10. Even though I know they made them in 3 inch, I'd never seen one for sale, and I'd been watching Gunbroker for a month. Then this one came along, and it was even nickel plated. I missed the pinned barrel by one year, although it gives me another Model 10 that is the complete opposite of my polished blue, 1981 10-7 square butt snub so I'm happy with the symmetry.

It is big though, even as a K frame... about the same size as my P226 which I compared out of curiosity. It also shoots pretty low on my preferred carry ammo, 110 grain Critical Defense. 12 O'clock hold at 10 yards to hit the bottom of the plate, but not much higher then POA with 158 grain ammo. I might have to switch back to Gold Dots for it. Here's pics, the nicest my phone can manage no matter how much I try.

Obambulate

With fixed sights, it pays to find the ammo that shoots to POA with your particular gun. You could also shave the front sight a bit, or add a dollop of something to raise the front sight a bit, if you would rather alter the gun to suit a desired kind of ammo.

sgms

Very, very nice. I'm still looking for a real clean 3 inch. Fit right in with the 21/2, 4, 5, and 6 inch already in the safe.

Sgt127

The 3" K frame is as good as it gets. A 3" 65 gets quite a bit of carry time with me. And, it's one of the few guns I have a duplicate of in the safe. I like them that much. In nickel, with those grips, yours can show off and do work. Nice gun.

Nick_C_S

Very nice. Almost too pretty to shoot - almost.

I sure wish Smith still made K-frames in 3"bbl. Would make a good carry piece. The conventional "wisdom" with carry revolvers is the 5-shot J-frame. Nothing against them, but I would have no trouble hiding a K-frame (I carry an L-frame, but it's a touch cumbersome, and I'm probably printing to those more observant), and would really prefer the K-frame's sixth round.

Elerius

The K-frame is sighted for 158gr. bullets. Lighter bullets shoot lower.

That is what I've sometimes heard, but I have shot the Critical Defense out of my 10-7 snub and there is no appreciable difference between those and the 158 grains I also put through it for POA. I don't know why that would be, but it is certainly a problem in this 3". I'll have to switch to something heavier

Water-Man

You might try the Speer Gold Dot 135gr.+P. They usually shoot to the same POA as the 158gr..

The problem is finding them.:(

Nick_C_S

You might try the Speer Gold Dot 135gr.+P. The problem is finding them

Amazingly, I have 3 boxes of these. They can be found in LGS's around here (not cheap though). I carry them in my L-frame. Excellent rounds.

rcp1936

I completely agree about the K frames

Especially the 3"

LS357a.jpg

ZVP

VERY nice revolvers!
Gosh I LOVE Nickled Guns! I have a Nickeled2" Model 36 (No Dash). The former owner bobbed the hammer and I am still mulling over if I like it? Some days yes, some No.
I ordered a set of Uncle Mikes grips from the S&W factory and gained a lot of control with em! I like wood but am still looking. The stockers were too small for my hand.
I've never shot a 3", I think I am missing something!
ZVP