My new 1911 L.S.T. Gaboon

Buckfever4life

well after several long weeks, my buddy Dustin Bonar (formerly from Novaks) and
current owner of L.S.T. finished up my Gaboon 45. I snapped a few pics but have
not been able to shoot it yet. A Range report will be in the near future. I also
had Dustin matte the front strap on my Kimber Pro Carry SLE and replace the extractor.
Dustins late father Joe Bonar did a reliability package and a few tweaks to this Kimber
many years ago. The Gaboon features an STI Slide and a Caspian/Foster Frame.
gabpic.jpg

gabpic1.jpg

gaboon-1.jpg

gaboon5-1.jpg

kimber-1.jpg

kimber2-2.jpg

KyJim

I agree. Very nice looking! I can't recall ever seeing the front of a slide cut in that manner. I like it!

wmbanse

well i have to say i dont know art but i know what i like....and i like your new friend.....except those nasty black talons. you need to send them to me for "proper" disposal :D

Buckfever4life

Here is the article from American Hangunner Magazine, it will shed some light on the history and the Gaboon itself.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n56222521/

Build Sheet:

STI Slide
Caspian Frame
Noval 3 dot Night Sights
Carry Bevel
Reliability Package*
Trigger Job
Flatten Top of Slide
Match Grieder trigger
S & A mag well
Ed Brown mag catch
Ed Brown Bushing
Ed Brown Thumb Safety
S & A Grip Safety
Kart NM Barrel
Crown Barrel
GPJ Safety Conversion
Commander Hammer
Wolff Springs
Match Extractor
Slide to frame fit
Slash cut front of slide
L.S.T. Bushing Mod and Spring Plug
Slash cut mag catch
G10 Grips
L.S.T. Logo
Refinish in Black Parkerizing
Novaks Grip Screws
2 #47D WC Mags

Jason_G

Here is the article from American Hangunner Magazine, it will shed some light on the history and the Gaboon itself.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n56222521/

Build Sheet:

STI Slide
Caspian Frame
Noval 3 dot Night Sights
Carry Bevel
Reliability Package*
Trigger Job
Flatten Top of Slide
Match Grieder trigger
S & A mag well
Ed Brown mag catch
Ed Brown Bushing
Ed Brown Thumb Safety
S & A Grip Safety
Kart NM Barrel
Crown Barrel
GPJ Safety Conversion
Commander Hammer
Wolff Springs
Match Extractor
Slide to frame fit
Slash cut front of slide
L.S.T. Bushing Mod and Spring Plug
Slash cut mag catch
G10 Grips
L.S.T. Logo
Refinish in Black Parkerizing
Novaks Grip Screws
2 #47D WC Mags

Well, the link didn't work for me.

Is there any particular reason you went with an STI slide vs Caspian like the frame?

Also, what does the matted front strap feel like? I kind of like the look of it.

Jason

Buckfever4life

I went with an STI Slide because that is what Dustin recommends. He said STI was much better than a Caspian slide.

as far as the link, type in "lst gaboon a charming snake" that will get you to a link.

The front strap feels great, its not rough like checkering and does not dig in your hands.

Jason_G

I went with an STI Slide because that is what Dustin recommends. He said STI was much better than a Caspian slide.

as far as the link, type in "lst gaboon a charming snake" that will get you to a link.

Gotcha. I found the article, too. Thanks. Well, you definitely got a looker, so range report next, right? :)

Jason

WHAT!!! You haven't even broken her in yet! I couldn't be around that thing, it would be too tempting to shoot or fondel all day.:D Interesting build.

Officer's Match

The bevelled slide-front gets the attention, but what's most intriguing to me is the slide relief for the thumb safety. That seems very interesting. And I've always liked STI's idea of grasping serrations all the way to the back.

Jason_G

The bevelled slide-front gets the attention, but what's most intriguing to me is the slide relief for the thumb safety. That seems very interesting. And I've always liked STI's idea of grasping serrations all the way to the back.

I think Volkmann does that as well.

Jason