My mind wanders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris in va

Generally speaking, there are two types of handguns...autoloaders and revolvers. That's it.

So like a third grader in History class, my brain took an offramp.

How about a short...very short bolt action handgun? Maybe with a detachable magazine? I'm not talking about a Ruger Charger or TC either, something about 8" in length.

I see Weatherby made something like that, albeit rather weird looking.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

black mamba

Remington made the XP-100 bolt action pistol for about 25 years. It pre-dated the T/C Contender by several years.

XP_100.jpg

Some believe it was used to shoot JFK from the grassy knoll.

Last edited:

kozak6

There are single shot break action pistols. Think TC Encore/Contender.

Magnum Research also made a weird one with a rotary cannon style breech.

aarondhgraham

Two that aren't revolvers or semi-automatic,,,

Rossi makes a break-open single-shot handgun that includes 2 barrels,,,
One barrel for .22 LR and the other for .45 Colt-410 shotshell.

Chipmonk makes a bolt action single-shot pistol in .22 LR

Aarond

bull bob

Also the Anschutz Exemplar,bolt action, in 22lr. Quite a target rig.
Also available in 22hornet

Last edited:

jrothWA

Get a 2nd edition of Seria's relaoding manual...

it has a section regarding the reloading for the 10" barreled T/C Contender.
Basically too short a barrel for powder combustion and not capable of best velocity or accuracy.

The .221 Fireball was specifically designed for the XP-100 and its barrel length.

Once T/C barrel got into the 12 -14" range was efficiency improved, then you started running into NFA's restrictions.

Sevens

An interesting one that many folks either forget or never knew about, the short-lived Ruger Hawkeye:
df2428b50e19add6df6ad638c3f48738.jpg

briandg

The hawkeye is a beautiful thing. A great curio.

The exemplar was a fantastic handgun.

It's a shame that an idea like this is judged solely by the products merits in the retail arena, instead of being judged on its own inherent beauty and intrinsic value.

So the hawkeye only appealed to a few people and sold only a few pieces. It was genius, and a wonderful item.

Doyle

The Vanguard pistols have a relatively poor reputation. The Savage Strikers are better (but are known for having stiff triggers). Better still are the Remington XP-100 and XP-100R. The XP-100R is a standard Model 7 action (one of the smoothest actions Remington ever produced).

chewie146

Wasn't that the lone eagle? I thought it went into the mid-late nineties. It was supposed to have a heck of an action on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.