My Magsafe .40 cal penetration test

Dave3006

I did a penetration test using the Magsafe .40 caliber load in my Glock 22 at 15 feet. I bought three 1/2" pieces of plywood and nailed them together with a 1" spacer in between them to simulate going through 3 solid barriers. I kind of expected the solid plywood to stop the round at the 2nd or 3rd layer.

Results - all the rounds zipped right through every layer. No problem. I am doubtfull of the ability of this round to "self destruct" in an urban environment if I miss the the bad guy.

P.S.

I also tried this with Federal .223 55gr FMJ and 52gr hollowpoint at 25 yards. Even worse! Zipped through. Makes me seriously wonder about all the people who think .223 will be a good urban round. This Saturday, I plan to do the same test with 00 buck at 25 yards.

Chris McDermott

I think that 3 1/2" space in between would be a fairer test as thats the thickness of a wall stud. The extra space would give the shot time to seperate, 1" spacing of plywood is kinda close together. The first surface should probably be plaster board instead of plywood if you are really trying to simulate an urban environment. I doubt if it makes that much difference as the first obstable the bullet hits will be penetrated, it's just supposed to fragment the bullet.

ANY rifle round will over-penetrate in an urban environment; a 22 Mag rimfire will penetrate 1/4" angle irons. Even bullet-proof vests are only supposed to stop pistol rounds; rifle rounds go thru both back & front like they aren't there. My opinion on rifles is that if they are needed for accuracy, get a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm or 40 S&W.