My love affair with FEG pistols (beautiful copies of my many Walthers)

Trooper Joe

I have many Walthers (Interarms PPK/S and PPK 380s, German PPK .32, German PP in .32 and .380, new Fort Smith PPK/S, an Interarms, all steel, TPH blue, and finally an alloy frame P38).

However, I have also been collecting these very nice FEG pistols made in Hungary (not shown a nice PA63).

This is a model AP22 with a steel frame and some of the best magazines every made for a .22 auto loader. This gun was pretty well worn when I first bought it. I thought if I ever came across some extra magazines, I would get it re-finished and just enjoy it. Last fall I came across two almost new magazines (one was given to me), so now with 3 magazines, I had it re-finished. I now have about $550 tied up in a $200 gun, but I will never sell it since it so reliable and accurate. A couple of weeks ago, I came across another magazine which makes a total of 4.

Here is a PMK .380 with Grips4U grips that were marketed for PA63 9x18 pistols. This is an alloy frame gun and is about the same size as a Walther PP. It is in like new condition and utterly reliable.

And finally, one of my favorites, an SMC .380 (almost the same size as a PPK). This gun is also an alloy frame and very reliable. PA63 magazines (which I have a good supply of) will work and have an extra round. The mags do stick out of the bottom the distance of one round. They are for 9x18 and function flawlessly with .380 rounds. I also found several like new SMC magazines for it so I am good to go.

I broke down and ordered a set of Marschal grips (walnut with left side thumb rest) for the SMC. However, I think I will put them on the .22 AP instead when I get them.

On the both the SMC and AP, I was able to install flat side (no thumb rest ala the GCA of 1968, yuk) left side grips. I ordered the thumb rest left side grip from Marschal anyway since now it is my choice and not the government point system, and it had nicer lines to it than the other offerings. This will be my second set of Marschal grips (the first set are on my Bulgarian Makarov and are beautiful).

These FEG guns are a lot of fun and at least for me, seem to be as reliable as my beloved Walthers. I found the SMC and PMK in like new condition. They are also very reasonable cost wise ($250 for the SMC and $275 for the PMK).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Trooper Joe

Cheapshooter

I have an FEG P9RK. Great gun, accurate, and reliable. Pretty darn classy looking to boot. I think I paid somewhere around $275 for it about ten years ago.

volkstrm

Yeah I have a p63 myself with two mag's. I got it sometime ago for a $100.00 plus $17.00 for the EX mag from J&G sales. I put in a lighter hammer spring from wolf springs. D/A trigger pull was real heavy,lighter now. Funny thing is I have not got to shoot it yet! It's like I always take my other 9x18 calibers out to shoot & never get to shooting that one. It's in LNC. This time when I take my mac's out I am going to take my like new P63 out also.

Metric

I really like that AP22, and can see why you had it re-finished. A .22 plinker that is in the "just perfect" size range, with high quality construction and reliability is worth a great deal. I'll be watching for one of these to cross my path.

I'd much rather have an AP22 than an actual current-production Walther PPK/S in .22. Not sure how they thought zinc alloys and Umarex construction would add value to an iconic brand.

Ricklin

PA-63

Always fond of mine. I believe I paid 69 bucks for it back in the early 90's.
Mine was advertised in Shotgun News as being surplus from the infamous E. German STASI. Whether that is true or not I don't know.
I do know it's a light and accurate piece, and pretty easily concealed if need be.

Oh ya, I think way back then the 69 bucks included a leather flap holster and a spare mag.

Ahh. the good old days.

mr bolo

the FEG's are a lot better quality than those new TURK mfg Browning HP clones, that have been having broken extractors, broken slides

the TURKS must use the cheapest castings / poor quality control, I'll never by a TURK firearm.

Ibmikey

Trooper Joe, I too found enjoyment in acquiring a few FEG pistols, a PA 63, SMC .380, five FEG Hi Powers four consecutive numbers and the fifth Metaloy (hard chrome) plated..the HP’s came surplus from Israel. I shoot the beans out of mine (except the PA 63 which is unpleasant to fire) and my Hi Powers shoot every bit as good as my FN produced.

sabre.45

Nice guns.

I have read recently that FEG is going to start producing firearms again, including their Hi-Power clones.

Ricklin

Houge Hand-All

The PA-63 needs a slip on grip like the above Houge. They tend to be a little tough on the web between thumb and finger otherwise.

Not near as uncomfortable as my LCP, two mags with the PA-63 leaves my hand sore, the LCP only requires one.

Mine has been super reliable. I did need to replace the main recoil spring after about 10 years of ownership.
I would carry the PA-63 and have done so a few times, good SD ammo is available in 9 X 18.