My LGS is the best

Yung.gunr

I have been wanting to get rid of my Beretta 9000S and get a Taurus TCP for a couple of months now. It was a little disappointed that I wasn't really getting any bites on it so I thought I would try a shop. First one I called didn't even want it no matter the price, went to another and they would only offer me $200. They did however tell me to check out another shop a couple miles down the road. I went down there and he offered me $350 for it. I was doing my best to hide how excited I was as I thought of all stuff I could get for that. I ended up getting the TCP I had wanted, a pocket holster, 25 rounds of Hornady JHPs and 50 rounds of target ammo.
I am so excited and planning on taking it out tomorrow for some range time after a thorough cleaning.

Smaug

You got taken.

They gave you a good price for the 9000, but it was the superior gun to the TCP, IMHO. I bet this will come up in a "The Gun I Shouldn't Have Sold" threads years from now, hehehe.

If you trade the Taurus in, you'll damn sure not get $350 for it.

stoney64

Yung.gunr, you are wrong, the local GS is evil, at least according to my wife, I told her It could be worse I could be at the strip club, she said the strip club would be cheaper and I wouldn't be "all day" at the strip club (probably true).

My son has the little Taurus and it is a fun little gun, we both like it better than his Kel-Tec (also fun).

Congrats.

Yung.gunr

I agree that reputation wise the Beretta is superior. However, as far as which gun I like better and which gun better suits my wants/needs then the TCP wins hands down.
I was not a fan of the Beretta from the first time I shot it. The grip is too big and the slide is very small making it hard to rack it. I had bought it with the intention of it being a small concealed carry. It wasn't until later that I realized I would rather carry my XD. It is also very thick. From everywhere I read and everyone I talk to, for a private sale the max would be $350. That is another reason why I was so excited when he offered me $350 because I was pretty sure I would not get that from a shop.
I do see where you are coming from though and had it been something like a Beretta 92, a Cheetah or something I would agree.
Now that I have gotten rid of it I am safe to say that I HATED that 9000S and regretted buying it as early as the day after I did buy it.

Oh... And on a side note to show that I did not make out to badly, I paid $300 for it NIB about 6 years and a couple hundred rounds ago and then just sold it for $350. I'm quite happy with that part as well.

Smaug

Hey, as long as you have what you needed.

I've read some good stuff about the TCP, namely that it is a better compact 380 than others made by more famous brands.

I agree too, if you still have an XD, there's no need for two big pistols if you don't yet have something small to carry.

Now, how about those pix? :cool:

Maybe with some targets too?

Yung.gunr

Yeah Stoney I agree with you on the Kel Tec vs the TCP. I dry fired the Kel Tec, S&W Bodyguard and LCP and I liked the TCP the best. Not quite as much as I like the Sig P238, but that is way out of my price range. My wife says Big 5 is evil because it is closer to my work so I can go down there at lunch time.

Yung.gunr

Pics will probably come soon. To be honest not sure about the pics of the targets as I am still working on my aim and not too proud of it yet. Trying to talk the wife into me taking it out tomorrow. Doubt I will take it out as much as other guns because it seems like .380 is the most expensive round I shoot.

Gelgoog

I also had a beretta 9000 for a while. I did not care fore the long travel and the break was so far back that I had to alter my grip just to fire the weapon. However that being said I like the layout and it fit my hand quite well. I just wish something could have been done about that trigger.

spanishjames

YungGunr. Don't feel too bad about your bad aiming with that little TCP. Pistols like the TCP, LCP, P3AT, aren't meant to be used as target shooters. Some would call them belly guns, useful within five yards or so.

I couldn't hit a 2x3' target at 12 yards when I first got my LCP. (That's the minimum distance at my range.) The worst part was not knowing where the rounds were going:eek:. With practice and some reading about proper aim and stance, I can now hit center mass most of the time. So even though the .380 is an expensive cartridge, the best way to get good is to practice. Enjoy your new gun.

MLeake

Thing is, if you don't absolutely require the small size of a TCP, P3AT, etc, then a small step up in size (J frame, PM9) will allow a gun that you can actually do some pretty good target shooting with.

Even if I required the small size of the littlest .380's, I can't get a good grip on them. Hands are too long. But I can normally conceal a J or PM9 without problem.

Yung.gunr

Took the TCP out to shoot today after work. Sorry no pics yet, I thought it was more important to get some rounds downrange.
I went through a box of 50 WWB with not even a hint of a hiccup. Even had my 8 year old shoot it. The only problem he had was it decided to kiss him on the first shot. After which I held it with him for three more shots. Gotta get back on that horse so to speak, no matter how hard it bucks. Man does that TCP buck.
My only complaint is the very long trigger and reset. But with it being a pocket carry with no safety I guess you could see the long trigger as a good thing.
My cousin didn't care for it because he said it tries to jump out of his hand. But, then again what does he know? He's got a wheelgun he's in love with and a Lorcin. Nah, I tease he is not that much of a noob.
Anywhoo, it's not too bad to shoot, definitely would not say it's my favorite or a range gun. I did do pretty decent with it, but I will definitely need to practice with it to get used to that trigger.

Overall, very happy with it. :D